#2727 - Sunday, February 11, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

  • EditGlo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2007

      #2727 - Sunday, February 11, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Nondual Highlights

      27

      It's possible that while sleeping the hand
      that sows the seeds of the stars
      started the ancient music going again

      - like a note from a great harp -
      and the frail wave came to our lips
      as one or two honest words.

      --Antonio Machado, from "Times Alone"

      "There's too much pain," I tell Toni. "I'm not sure I can
      stand it." To which Toni replies: "It takes enormous
      patience to see the sorrow. To be with it. To not move
      away. Or find easy comfort. To look. To see human history.
      Because it is not just one's personal pain that is contacted.
      It's humanity's pain, the universal sorrow of human
      beings."

      --Joan Tollifson, from: Bare-Bones Meditation

      Seeing the suffering in the world around us and in our own
      bodies and minds, we begin to understand suffering not only
      as an individual problem, but as a universal experience. It is
      one of the aspects of being alive. The question that then
      comes to mind is: If compassion arises from the awareness of
      suffering, why isn't the world a more compassionate place?
      The problem is that often our hearts are not open to feel
      the pain. We move away from it, close off, and become
      defended. By closing ourselves off from suffering, however,
      we also close ourselves to our own wellspring of compassion.
      We don't need to be particularly saintly in order to be
      compassionate. Compassion is the natural response of an open
      heart, but that wellspring of compassion remains capped as
      long as we turn away from or deny or resist the truth of
      what is there. When we deny our experience of suffering, we
      move away from what is genuine to what is fabricated,
      deceptive and confusing.

      --Joseph Goldstein, Seeking the Heart of Wisdom

      One Art
      by Elizabeth Bishop

      The art of losing isn't hard to master;

      so many things seem filled with the intent
      to be lost that their loss is no disaster.

      Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
      of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
      The art of losing isn't hard to master.

      Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
      places, and names, and where it was you meant
      to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

      I lost my mother's watch. And look! my last, or
      next-to-last, of three loved houses went.
      The art of losing isn't hard to master.

      I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, vaster,
      some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
      I miss them, but it wasn't a disaster.

      --Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture
      I love) I shan't have lied. It's evident
      the art of losing's not too hard to master
      though it may look like (Write it!) like disaster.

      my gray cat jumped up just as I lifted this spoon
      we're born we die

      if there's nowhere to rest at the end
      how can I get lost along the way?

      that stone Buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets
      I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind

      --Ikkyu

      Alan Larus, photos from: