#2721 - Monday, February 5, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

  • EditGlo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2007

      #2721 - Monday, February 5, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Nondual Highlights

      Note: If you are seeing uneven lines here with just a few words on them, consider
      switching to "traditional" format by using the link at bottom of this message. If it says
      "switch to fully featured", leave it alone. It will only change preferences for this list.

      There is really nothing you must be and there is nothing
      you must do. There is really nothing you must have and
      there is nothing you must know. There is really nothing
      you must become. However, it helps to understand that
      fire burns, and when it rains, the earth gets wet.

      --Zen saying

      Most people think of enlightenment as a kind of magical
      attainment, a state of being close to perfection. At this
      level, one can perform amazing feats, see past and future
      lives of others, and tune in to the inner workings of the
      universe. This may be possible for a number of special
      beings, but for most of us enlightenment is much more in
      line with what Suzuki Roshi describes. It means having a
      quality of "beginningness," a fresh, simple, unsophisticated
      view of things. To have "beginner's mind" in how we
      approach things is a major teaching. In many ways, the
      process of enlightenment is clearing away the thoughts,
      beliefs, and ideas that cloud our ability to see things as
      they really are in their pristine form.

      --David A. Cooper, Silence, Simplicity and Solitude

      After you wake up you probably open the curtains and look
      outside. You may even like to open the window and feel
      the cool morning air with the dew still on the grass. But is
      what you see really "outside"? In fact, it is your own mind.
      As the sun sends its rays through the window, you are not
      just yourself. You are also the beautiful view from your
      window. You are the Dharmakaya.

      Dharmakaya literally means the body (kaya) of the
      Buddha's teachings (Dharma), the way of understanding
      and love. Before passing away, the Buddha told his
      disciples, "Only my physical body will pass away. My Dharma
      body will remain with you forever." In Mahayana Buddhism,
      the word has come to mean "the essence of all that
      exists." All phenomena--the song of a bird, the warm rays
      of the sun, a cup of hot tea--are manifestations of the
      Dharmakaya. We, too, are of the same nature as these
      wonders of the universe.

      --Thich Nhat Hanh, Present Moment, Wonderful Moment

      As great as the infinite space beyond is the space within
      the lotus of the heart. Both heaven and earth are
      contained in that inner space, both fire and air, sun and
      moon, lightning and stars. Whether we know it in this world
      or know it not, everything is contained in that inner space.

      --Chandogya Upanishad From The Upanishads,
      translated by Eknath Easwaran

      "The emergence and blossoming of understanding, love and
      intelligence has nothing to do with any tradition, no matter
      how ancient or impressive - it has nothing to do with time.
      It happens completely on its own when a human being
      questions, wonders, listens and looks without getting stuck
      in fear, pleasure and pain. When self concern is quiet, in
      abeyance, heaven and earth are open. The mystery, the
      essence of all life is not separate from the silent openness
      of simple listening."

      --Toni Packer

      From her website: http://www.stillwater.com
      posted to Daily Dharma

      A monk was walking in the monastery grounds one day
      when he heard a bird sing.

      He listened, spellbound. It seemed to him that never
      before had he heard, really heard, the song of a bird.

      When the singing stopped he returned to the monastery
      and discovered, to his dismay, that he was a stranger to his
      fellow monks, and they to him.

      It was only gradually that they and he discovered that he
      was returning after centuries. Because his listening was
      total, time had stopped and he had slipped into eternity.

      A Spiritual Journey

      By Wendell Berry
      (1934 - )

      And the world cannot be discovered by a journey of miles,
      no matter how long,
      but only by a spiritual journey,
      a journey of one inch,
      very arduous and humbling and joyful,
      by which we arrive at the ground at our feet,
      and learn to be at home.

      Poetry Chaikhana Home