#2713 - Sunday, January 28, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2007
      Book of Hours, II, 16 -- Rainer Maria Rilke
      #2713 - Sunday, January 28, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Nondual Highlights

      We could have saved the Earth but we were too damned cheap.

      --Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

      Between the great things we cannot do
      and the small things we will not do,
      the danger is that we shall do nothing.

      --Adolph Monod

      An object has a reflection: When looking we see two images,
      yet there is only one thing. Likewise, this world is a reflection
      of the Supreme Lord. We may see two, yet only One exists…

      --Jnaneshwar
      From "Teachings of the Hindu Mystics,"
      © 2001 by Andrew Harvey.

      "Subject-object thinking seems to cover the natural state (awareness).
      But without awareness, thinking could not take place. Because thinking
      appears in awareness (like a cloud appears in the sky), realise that
      thinking in essence is awareness. Understanding this, thinking cannot
      obscure awareness".

      --"Sailor" Bob Adamson

      We can see that implicit in all five precepts is the age-old Indian
      principle of ahimsa: not harming--either others or oneself. We can
      safely extend this to the environment, the world as a whole and even
      to outer space. Nothing in fact falls outside the sphere of our moral
      responsibility. For instance, according to the Huayen school of
      Buddhist philosophy, which developed in medieval China, our every
      action affects the whole of the Universe. The grave environmental
      problems we now face on Planet Earth stem from our ignorance of
      this fact. Yet, perplexingly, even as we begin to see what we are doing
      and what suffering it will bring down on both ourselves and our
      descendants, we find it very difficult to change our ways. Everyone is
      aware that it would be a good thing if there were fewer cars, but no
      one wants to give up their own!

      --John Snelling, Elements of Buddhism

      We’re in a giant car heading toward a brick wall and
      everyone’s arguing over where they’re going to sit.

      --David Suzuki

      In the long term, the economy and the environment are the same
      thing. If it’s unenvironmental, it is uneconomical. That is the rule of
      nature.

      --Mollie Beattie

      II, 16

      How surely gravity's law,
      strong as an ocean current,
      takes hold of even the strongest thing
      and pulls it toward the heart of the world.

      Each thing -
      each stone, blossom, child -
      is held in place.
      Only we, in our arrogance,
      push out beyond what we belong to
      for some empty freedom.

      If we surrendered
      to earth's intelligence
      we could rise up rooted, like trees.

      Instead we entangle ourselves
      in knots of our own making
      and struggle, lonely and confused.

      So, like children, we begin again
      to learn from the things,
      because they are in God's heart;
      they have never left him.

      This is what the things can teach us:
      to fall,
      patiently to trust our heaviness.
      Even a bird has to do that
      before he can fly.

      ~ Rainer Maria Rilke ~

      (Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God,
      translated by Anita Barrows and Joanna Macy)