#2707- Monday, January 22, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2007
      #2707- Monday, January 22, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Nondual Highlights

      Divine Andy writes to tell us of a new website by Michael James:

      Happiness is Our Essential Being

      Happiness lies deep within us, in the very core of our being. Happiness does not exist in
      any external object, but only in us, who are the consciousness that experiences
      happiness. Though we seem to derive happiness from external objects or experiences, the
      happiness that we thus enjoy in fact arises from within us.

      Whatever turmoil our mind may be in, in the centre of our being there always exists a
      state of perfect peace and joy, like the calm in the eye of a storm. Desire and fear
      agitate our mind, and obscure from its vision the happiness that always exists within it.
      When a desire is satisfied, or the cause of a fear is removed, the surface agitation of
      our mind subsides, and in that temporary calm our mind enjoys a taste of its own innate
      happiness.

      Happiness is thus a state of being – a state in which our mind's habitual agitation is
      calmed. The activity of our mind disturbs it from its calm state of just being, and
      causes it to lose sight of its own innermost happiness. To enjoy happiness, therefore,
      all our mind need do is to cease all activity, returning calmly to its natural state of
      inactive being, as it does daily in deep sleep.

      True happiness is therefore the happiness of just being, which is the perfect and
      absolute happiness that in mystical literature is known as 'beatitude'. This true
      happiness of being is also described as "the peace of God, which passeth all
      understanding", because it is experienced in full only in the perfectly peaceful state of
      just being, which is the state in which all mental activity has subsided in the clarity
      of unobstructed self-consciousness. That is, since it can be experienced perfectly only
      in the state in which we are conscious merely of our own essential being and not of any
      thoughts or objects, true happiness or peace is beyond all mental comprehension.

      Not only does happiness exist within us – it is in fact our true nature, our essential
      being. The transient happiness that we seem to derive from external experiences, but
      which actually arises only from within ourself, is in reality nothing other than our own
      essential being. The more clearly we are conscious of our own essential being, the more
      deeply and intensely do we experience happiness.

      The degree of happiness that we experience at any moment is directly proportionate to the
      degree of clarity with which we are then conscious of our true and essential being.
      Therefore happiness is not only our essential being, but is also our consciousness of our
      being. In fact, since we are the consciousness that experiences our own being as 'I am',
      we are both being and consciousness. In other words, our essential being is
      consciousness, or more precisely it is self-consciousness – consciousness that knows
      itself clearly as 'I am'. Therefore, since our unobstructed consciousness of our own
      being is experienced by us as happiness, in our essential nature we are non-dual being,
      consciousness and happiness.

      The rising and subsequent activity of our mind distracts our attention away from our
      essential being, thereby clouding our natural clarity of self-consciousness and obscuring
      our awareness of the happiness that we really are. Therefore so long as our mind is
      extroverted, attending to anything other than our own essential being, we can never
      experience perfect, permanent and unqualified happiness. To experience true and eternal
      happiness, we must attain the experience of true self-knowledge, that is, perfectly clear
      consciousness of our own essential being.

      In order to experience such true self-knowledge, we must withdraw our attention from
      everything other than ourself, and focus it wholly and exclusively upon our own essential
      being, which we always experience in the form of our fundamental consciousness – our
      primary knowledge 'I am'.

      Until and unless we attend to our innermost self in this manner, we cannot know who or
      what we really are, and unless we thereby experience a clear and certain knowledge of
      what we really are, we cannot be certain about the reality or validity of any knowledge
      that we may appear to have about other things. All our knowledge about the world and God
      – about science, religion, philosophy, physics, cosmology, psychology, theology or any
      other branch of human knowledge – is open to serious doubt so long as our knowledge about
      ourself – the consciousness by which all those other things are known – is confused and
      uncertain.

      Therefore, if we wish to experience permanent and unqualified happiness, or to attain
      knowledge about which we can be absolutely certain, we must focus our whole attention
      keenly upon ourself, our fundamental consciousness of our own essential being, 'I am', in
      order to ascertain who or what we really are.

      Such in brief is the simple but profound truth revealed by Bhagavan Sri Ramana.

      The philosophy, science and art of true self-knowledge

      The philosophy of Sri Ramana derives solely from his experience of true, absolute and
      non-dual self-knowledge, an experience that transcends all thought, both rational and
      irrational. However, since we imagine the existence of duality, multiplicity and
      relativity, we seem to lack the non-dual and absolute knowledge of our own essential
      self-conscious being that Sri Ramana experienced as his natural state. Therefore he
      presented his philosophy to us in terms of a rational and logical analysis of our present
      experience of ourself as a finite individual consciousness, in order to enable us to be
      firmly convinced of the absolute reality that underlies this finite consciousness that we
      now mistake to be ourself.

      However, the spiritual teachings of Sri Ramana are not only a rational philosophy, but
      are also a precise science and art. He intended his philosophy to serve only as the
      theoretical foundation upon which we should practice the empirical science of
      self-investigation, which is the art of abiding firmly and steadily in our natural state
      of keenly self-attentive and therefore perfectly thought-free being.

      The practice of 'self-enquiry' or self-scrutiny

      A Sanskrit term that was often used, both by Sri Ramana and by other more ancient sages
      such as Sri Adi Sankara, to describe this empirical practice of self-investigation or
      self-attentiveness is atma-vichara, which is often loosely translated in English as
      'self-enquiry' or 'self-inquiry'. However, rather than 'enquiry', the word vichara can be
      more accurately translated as 'examination' or 'investigation'. Therefore the term
      atma-vichara really means 'self-investigation' or 'self-examination', and denotes the
      simple practice of examining, inspecting or scrutinising our fundamental and essential
      consciousness of our own being, 'I am', with a keen and concentrated power of attention.

      Sri Ramana also referred to this empirical practice of self-investigation,
      self-examination, self-inspection, self-scrutiny, self-attention or self-attentiveness as
      the vichara 'who am I?' However, when he described it thus, he did not mean that it is a
      process of questioning ourself 'who am I?' either verbally or mentally. What he intended
      us to understand by this term is that this practice is a keenly attentive examination or
      scrutiny of our basic consciousness of our own being, which we always experience as 'I
      am', in order to discover the true nature of this 'I', our essential being or 'am'-ness.

      The aim of this website

      This website is dedicated to exploring in depth the philosophy, science and art of true
      self-knowledge, particularly as taught by Bhagavan Sri Ramana.

      At present the principal resource offered on this website is an e-book entitled Happiness
      and the Art of Being, and subtitled A layman's introduction to the philosophy and
      practice of the spiritual teachings of Bhagavan Sri Ramana, which is available for free
      download through the webpage Happiness and the Art of Being. In future, however, I hope
      to enhance the content of this website, adding to it more e-books, translations of all
      the original writings of Sri Ramana, together with detailed explanations and
      commentaries, and a selection of articles discussing various aspects of his teachings.

      I have created this website as a service to all those who are interested in the
      philosophy, science and art of true self-knowledge, and particularly to all those who
      sincerely wish to practise the spiritual teachings of Sri Ramana. Therefore, if you would
      like to assist me in this service, please pass on information about this website to your
      friends or to anyone else you know who might be interested in this subject.

      Thank you for visiting this website. I hope that you may be benefited by reading what is
      written in it, and that it may encourage and help you to practise the simple yet very
      profound teachings of Bhagavan Sri Ramana.