#2706- Sunday, January 21, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2007

      #2706- Sunday, January 21, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Nondual Highlights

      "In the presence of Sangha, in the light of Dharma,
      in oneness with Buddha - may my path
      to complete enlightenment benefit everyone!"

      In this passing moment karma ripens
      and all things come to be.
      I vow to choose what is:
      If there is cost, I choose to pay.
      If there is need, I choose to give.
      If there is pain, I choose to feel.
      If there is sorrow, I choose to grieve.
      When burning - I choose heat.
      When calm - I choose peace.
      When starving - I choose hunger.
      When happy - I choose joy.
      Whom I encounter,  I choose to meet.
      What I shoulder,  I choose to bear.
      When it is my death,  I choose to die.
      Where this takes me,  I choose to go.
      Being with what is - I respond to what is.

      This life is as real as a dream;
      the one who knows it can not be found;
      and, truth is not a thing - Therefore I vow
      to choose THIS dharma entrance gate!
      May all Buddhas and Wise Ones
      help me live this vow.

      --Shodo Harada, Roshi

      From the Great Vow Monastery Chant Book
      posted to Daily Dharma

      Interview with Bernadette Roberts
      Author of —The Experience of No-Self

      In this exclusive interview with Stephan Bodian, (published in the
      Nov/Dec 1986 issue of YOGA JOURNAL), author Bernadette Roberts
      describes the path of the Christian contemplative after the experience
      of oneness with God.

      .... excerpt:

      Stephan: You mention in 'The Path to No-Self' that the unitive state is
      the "true state in which God intended every person to live his mature
      years". Yet so few of us ever achieve this unitive state. What is it
      about the way we live right now that prevents us from doing so? Do you
      think it is our preoccupation with material success, technology, and
      personal accomplishment?

      Bernadette: First of all, I think there are more people in the state of
      oneness than we realize. For everyone we hear about there are
      thousands we will never hear about. Believing this state to be a rare
      achievement can be an impediment in itself. Unfortunately, those who
      write about it have a way of making it sound more extraordinary and
      blissful that it commonly is, and so false expectations are another
      impediment - we keep waiting and looking for an experience or state
      that never comes.

      But if I had to put my finger on the primary obstacle, I would say it is
      having wrong views of the journey. Paradoxical though it may seem, the
      passage through consciousness or self moves contrary to self, rubs it
      the wrong way - and in the end, will even rub it out. Because this
      passage goes against the grain of self, it is, therefore, a path of
      suffering. Both Christ and Buddha saw the passage as one of suffering,
      and basically found identical ways out. What they discovered and
      revealed to us was that each of us has within himself or herself a
      "stillpoint" - comparable, perhaps to the eye of a cyclone, a spot or
      center of calm, imperturbability, and non-movement. Buddha
      articulated this central eye in negative terms as "emptiness" or "void",
      a refuge from the swirling cyclone of endless suffering. Christ
      articulated the eye in more positive terms as the "Kingdom of God" or
      the "Spirit within", a place of refuge and salvation from a suffering
      self. For both of them, the easy out was first to find that stillpoint and
      then, by attaching ourselves to it, by becoming one with it, to find a
      stabilizing, balanced anchor in our lives. After that, the cyclone is
      gradually drawn into the eye, and the suffering self comes to an end.
      And when there is no longer a cyclone, there is also no longer an eye.

      A quiet mind is all you need. All else will happen rightly,
      once your mind is quiet. As the sun on rising makes the world
      active, so does self-awareness affect changes in the mind.
      In the light of calm and steady self-awareness, inner
      energies wake up and work miracles without any effort on
      your part.

      --Nisargadatta

      "Generally speaking, on this path it is important to work on real
      truth. When real truth stamps the mind, the path becomes self-
      evident. If the mind is not true, then even if you attend lectures
      everyday and discuss the path constantly, this just provides topics
      of conversation and is ultimately of no benefit on the path.

      So what is the real truth? It is just a matter of looking back into
      the purity of your own mind in the course of daily activities, not
      being led astray by anything. That is because the mind is like a
      monkey, consciousness like a horse: without the tool of great
      awareness watching them, it will be truly hard to control them no
      matter how clever your devices.

      But when the mind has been settled, so that it merges back into
      oneness, and all traces of birth and extinction disappear, then you
      naturally realize basic subtle illumination, thoroughly empty, yet
      uncannily penetrating and effective."

      --Hui-ching (1528-1598)

      From the Daily Zen website, published at:
      http://dailyzen.com/zen/zen_reading0701.asp