#2700 - Monday, January 15, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2007

      #2700 - Monday, January 15, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Nondual Highlights

      The quotes in this issue all pertain to meditation and spiritual practice,
      after due recognition of Martin Luther King, Jr. on his day.

      posted to Daily Dharma

      Below are excerpts from a speech Martin Luther King
      gave in 1967 voicing his opposition to the Vietnam
      War. When he first spoke against the war, he was met
      with great opposition and ridicule, including guarded
      but sure criticism from the press and his own
      supporters. Eventually, he was admired for speaking
      out, for taking a stand that was not popular, but
      which he knew was the truth. In hindsight, we see how
      right he was, and we are inspired.

      And in this very day, we find ourselves in a war
      similar in many ways. He speaks of the "arrogance" of
      America, thinking it is our calling to be a messiah to
      the rest of the world - and we flinch - who us? And we
      know there is truth there. Even now. Maybe more so
      now.

      --dharma grandmother
      who obviously got carried away by Dr. King's words. Be
      sure to read his whole speech (you can hear him read
      it too - and then he stops reading and the second half
      is all spontaneous - brilliant, moving, much better by
      way far than above ramblings. At:
      http://americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkatimetobreaksilence.htm

      Take the One Seat

      When we take the one seat on our meditation cushion we become
      our own monastery. We create the compassionate space that allows
      for the arising of all things: sorrows, loneliness, shame, desire,
      regret, frustration, happiness.

      Spiritual transformation is a profound process that doesn't happen
      by accident. We need a repeated discipline, a genuine training, in
      order to let go of our old habits of mind and to find and sustain a
      new way of seeing. To mature on the spiritual path we need to
      commit ourselves in a systematic way. My teacher Achaan Chah
      described this commitment as "taking the one seat." He said, "Just
      go into the room and put one chair in the center. Take the seat in
      the center of the room, open the doors and the windows and see
      who comes to visit. You will witness all kinds of scenes and actors, all
      kinds of temptations and stories, everything imaginable. Your only
      job is to stay in your seat. You will see it all arise and pass, and out
      of this, wisdom and understanding will come."

      --Jack Kornfield, A Path with Heart

      From time without beginning, our ego clinging has caused us to
      wander in samsara; it is the root of all our sufferings, it is indeed the
      culprit. Considering others to be more important than ourselves, we
      should give up our self-cherishing attitudes and decide to act without
      hypocrisy, emulating in body, speech and mind the behavior of friends
      who live their lives according to the teachings. Mind Training should
      be engaged in discreetly. It should not be done with external show,
      in a way that attracts attention and creates a reputation; it should
      act as the inward antidote to our self-clinging and defiled emotions.
      We should bring our minds to ripeness without anybody knowing.

      From "Enlightened Courage", by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

      Swinging Door

      When we practice zazen [Zen Meditation] our mind always follows
      our breathing. When we inhale, the air comes into the inner world.
      When we exhale, the air goes to the outer world. The inner world is
      limitless, and the outer world is also limitless. We say "inner world"
      or "outer world," but actually there is just one whole world. In this
      limitless world, our throat is like a swinging door. The air comes in
      and goes out like someone passing through a swinging door. If you
      think, "I breathe," the "I" is extra. There is no you to say "I." What
      we call "I" is just a swinging door which moves when we inhale and
      when we exhale. It just moves; that is all. When your mind is pure
      and calm enough to follow this movement, there is nothing: no "I," no
      world, no mind nor body; just a swinging door.

      --Shunryu Suzuki, Zen Mind, Beginners Mind

       It is a matter of transferring attention for this brief period
      from the ego and fixing it lovingly on the Overself. For while thought
      dwells in and on the ego alone, it is kept prisoner, held by the
      little self's limitations, confined in the narrow circle of personal
      affairs, interests, problems. The way out is this transfer of
      attention. But the change needs a motive power, a push. This comes
      from love and faith combined--love, aspiration, longing for Overself,
      and faith in its living ever-presence within.

          --Notebooks of Paul Brunton

      A story and article about Sri Ramana Maharshi and Chitrabhanu-Ji and the Principle of Ahimsa

      Dear Friends,

      I have just uploaded to http://luthar.com/ a story and article about Sri
      Ramana and my teacher Gurudev Sri Chitrabhanu-Ji which highlights the
      importance of the ancient principle of Ahimsa on the spiritual path.

      http://luthar.com/

      Namaste and Love to all
      Harsha