#2699 - Sunday, January 14, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2007
      #2699 - Sunday, January 14, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Nondual Highlights

      The end and the sum total of all mysticism,
      philosophy, and meditation, of everything one
      learns and develops, is to be a better servant
      to humanity. Everything from the beginning to
      the end in the spiritual path is a training to be
      able to serve mankind better, and if one does
      not do it with that intention, one will find in the
      end that one has accomplished nothing.

      --Hazrat Inayat Khan

      ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

      Hazrat Inayat Khan
      Mastery Through Accomplishment
      posted to Along the Way

      Why do we keep going to places that
      produce disturbing emotions?
      Why do we keep relating to people
      who produce disturbing emotions?
      When we dwell in clear, quiet places with friends
      who increase our feelings of joy and peace,
      who encourage us and give good example
      living a life permeated with kindness for others,
      we are practicing the way of the Bodhisattva.

      --Paraphrased and translated by dharma grandmother
      from Thogme Zangpo's "37 Practices of A Bodhisattva."
      posted to Daily Dharma

      It is not the worship of a person that is
      crucial, but the steadiness and depth of
      your devotion to the task. Life itself is
      the Supreme Guru; be attentive to its
      lessons and obedient to its commands.
      When you personalize their source, you
      have an outer Guru; when you take them
      from life directly, the Guru is within.

      --Nisargadatta Maharaj

      ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

      "I Am That"
      Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
      posted to Along the Way

      Guru is not the physical form. So the
      contact will remain even after the
      physical form of the Guru vanishes.
      One can go to another Guru after one's
      Guru passes away, but all Gurus are
      one and none of them is the form you
      see. Always mental contact is the best.

      --Sri Ramana Maharshi

      ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

      "Be As You Are"
      The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi
      edited by David Godman
      posted to Along the Way

      Q.  Is there not a state of absolute perfection which does not decay?

      M.  Whatever has a beginning must have an end.  In the timeless all is
      perfect, here and now.

      Q.  But shall we reach the timeless in due course?

      M.  In due course we shall come back to the starting point.  Time
      cannot take us out of time, as space cannot take us out of space.  All
      you get by waiting is more waiting.  Absolute perfection is here and
      now, not in some future, near or far.  The secret is in action-- here
      and now.  It is your behavior that blinds you to yourself.  Disregard
      whatever you think yourself to be and act as if you were absolutely
      perfect -- whatever your idea of perfection may be.  All you need is
      courage.

      Q.  Where do I find such courage?

      M.  My grace is telling you now:  look within.  All you need you have.
       Use it.  Behave as best you know, do what you think you should.
      Don't be afraid of mistakes; you can always correct them, only
      intentions matter.  The shape things take is not within your power;
      the motives of your actions are.

      --Nisargadatta Maharaj
      From "I Am That"

      "What you are in essence is self-shining, pure intelligence. The very
      idea of shining implies a movement. Movement is energy. So, I call it
      'pure intelligence-energy'. It is shining through your eyes. You
      cannot say what it is, and you cannot negate it either. It is 'no thing'.
      It cannot be objectified. It ever expresses as that living, vibrant
      sense of presence, which translates through the mind as the thought
      'I am'. The primary thought 'I am' is not the reality. It is the closest
      the mind or thought can ever get to reality, for reality to the mind is
      inconceivable. It is no thing. Without the thought 'I am', is it
      stillness? Is it silence? Or is there a vibrancy about it, a livingness, a
      self-shining-ness? All these expressions are mental concepts or
      pointers towards it, but the bottom line is that you know that you
      are. You cannot negate that knowing that you are. It is not a dead,
      empty, silent stillness. It is not about keeping the mind silent, but
      seeing that what is prior to the mind is the very livingness itself. It is
      very subtle."

      "When you see that that is what you are, then the very subtleness
      expresses itself. That is the uncaused joy. Nisargadatta puts it
      beautifully. He puts it in the negative. 'There is nothing wrong any
      more.' We think that we have to attain something and then stay
      there. Realize that you have never left it at any time. It is
      effortless. You don't have to try or strive or grasp or hold. You are
      That."

      --Bob Adamson, from the Preface to "What's Wrong With Right Now
      Unless You Think About It?"

      Deep green needles glow
      Against a cobalt sky;
      They radiate something