#2695 - Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2007
      #2695 - Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Nondual Highlights

      I asked how can you ever be sure
      that what you write is really
      any good at all and he said you can't

      you can't you can never be sure
      you die without knowing
      whether anything you wrote was any good
      if you have to be sure don't write

      --W.S. Merwin

      If you want to be free, get to know your real self.
      It has no form, no appearance, no root,
      No basis, no abode, but is lively and buoyant.
      It responds with versatile facility, but its function
      Cannot be located; when you look for it you become
      Further from it. When you seek it
      You turn away from it all the more.

      --Rinzai (d.867?)

      Calming the Mind

      Too much knowledge
      Leads to overactivity;
      Better to calm the mind.
      The more you consider,
      The greater the loss;
      Better to unify the mind.

      --Shih Wang Ming (6th c.)

      Time Is Not a Factor

      Munindra-ji used to say that in spiritual practice, time is not a factor.
      Practice cannot be measured in time, so let go of the whole notion
      of when and how long. The practice is a process unfolding, and it
      unfolds in its own time. It is like the flowers that grow in the spring.
      Do you pull them up to make them grow faster? I once tried to do
      that with carrots in my first garden when I was eight years old. It
      does not work. We do not need any particular length of time for this
      process of letting things be.

      --Joseph Goldstein, Insight Meditation

      Trust has nothing to do with moral courage. It occurs when we have
      nowhere else to turn, when we reach the end of our need to control.

      --Rodney Smith, "Lessons from the Dying"

      People deal too much with the negative, with what is wrong...
      Why not try and see positive things, to just touch those
      things and make them bloom?

      --Thich Nhat Hanh

      gill
      www.allspirit.co.uk

      From 'the heart of the buddha's teaching'
      Thich Nhat Hanh

      Relatively speaking, there are right views and there
      are wrong views. But if we look more deeply, we
      see that all views are wrong views. No view can ever
      be the truth. It is just from one point; that is why it is
      called a "point of view." If we go to another point, we
      will see things differently and realize that our first view
      was not entirely right. Buddhism is not a collection of
      views. It is a practice to help us eliminate wrong views.
      The quality of our views can always be improved. From
      the viewpoint of ultimate reality, Right View is the absence
      of all views.

      When we begin the practice, our view is a vague idea about
      the teachings. But conceptual knowledge is never enough.
      The seeds of Right View, the seed of Buddhahood, are in us,
      but they are obscured by so many layers of ignorance, sorrow,
      and disappointment. We have to put our views into practice.
      In the process of learning, reflecting, and practicing, our view
      becomes increasingly wise, based on our real experience.
      When we practice Right Mindfulness, we see the seed of
      Buddhahood in everyone, including ourselves. This is Right
      View. Sometimes it is described as the Mother of All Buddhas
      (prajna paramita), the energy of love and understanding that
      has the power to free us. When we practice mindful living, our
      Right View will blossom, and all the other elements of the path
      in us will flower, also.