#2691 - Saturday, January 6, 2007

  • markotter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2007

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2691, Saturday, January 7, 2007

      We live in the world to which we are awakened, and to the world to
      which we are not awakened we are asleep. We are asleep to that part
      of life which we do not know. What is the sign that one is ready to
      awaken from sleep? It is when a person begins to think, "All that I
      have learned and understood seems so unreal; there are some
      realities of which I am vaguely aware, and yet compared with them
      all I have studied and done seems to be of no account."

      From The Teachings of Hazrat Pir-O-Murshid Inayat Khan, selected and
      arranged by Hazrat Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan, posted to SufiMystic

      The only power for the mystic is the power of love.

      Bowl of Saki, by Hazrat Inayat Khan

      Commentary by Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan:

      Every kind of power lies in this one thing which we call by the simple name: love. Charity, generosity, kindness, affection, endurance, tolerance, and patience--all these words are different aspects of one; they are different names of only one thing: love. Whether it is said, 'God is love,' or whatever name is given to it, all the names are the names of God; and yet every form of love, every name for love, has its own peculiar scope, has a peculiarity of its own. Love as kindness is one thing, love as tolerance is another, love as generosity is another, love as patience another; and yet from beginning to end it is just love.

      Remember therefore that for higher attainment on the spiritual path study is secondary; all knowledge of occult and psychic law, all magical powers, are secondary. The first and most important principle is the cultivation of the heart quality.

      One may ask: How to cultivate the heart quality? There is only one way: to become selfless at each step one takes forward on this path, for what prevents one from cultivating the loving quality is the thought of self. The more we think of our self the less we think of others, and as we go further the self grows to become worse and worse. In the end the self meets us as a giant which we had always fought; and now at the end of the journey the giant is the stronger. But if from the first step we take on the path of perfection we struggled and fought and conquered this giant which is the self, it could be done only by the increasing power of love.

      What do I mean by love? It is such a word that one cannot give one meaning. All attributes like kindness, gentleness, goodness, humbleness, mildness, fineness, are names of one and the same thing. Love therefore is that stream which when it rises falls in the form of a fountain, and each stream coming down is a virtue. All virtues taught by books or by a religious person have no strength and life because they have been learned; a virtue that is learned has no power, no life. The virtue that naturally springs from the depth of the heart, the virtue that rises from the love-spring and then falls as many different attributes, that virtue is real. There is a Hindustani saying, 'No matter how much wealth you have, if you do not have the treasure of virtue, it is of no use'. The true riches is the ever increasing spring of love from which all virtues come.

      - posted to SufiMystic

      look at love
      how it tangles
      with the one fallen in love

      look at spirit
      how it fuses with earth
      giving it new life

      why are you so busy
      with this or that or good or bad
      pay attention to how things blend

      why talk about all
      the known and the unknown
      see how the unknown merges into the known

      why think seperately
      of this life and the next
      when one is born from the last

      look at your heart and tongue
      one feels but deaf and dumb
      the other speaks in words and signs

      look at water and fire
      earth and wind
      enemies and friends all at once

      the wolf and the lamb
      the lion and the deer
      far away yet together

      look at the unity of this
      spring and winter
      manifested in the equinox

      you too must mingle my friends
      since the earth and the sky
      are mingled just for you and me

      be like sugarcane
      sweet yet silent
      don't get mixed up with bitter words

      my beloved grows
      right out of my own heart
      how much more union can there be

      - Rumi, Ghazal 2381, from Rumi's "Diwan-e Shams", translation by Nader Khalili, Rumi, Fountain of Fire, posted to Sunlight

      Inside this new love, die.
      Your way begins on the other side.
      Become the sky.
      Take an axe to the prison wall.
      Escape.
      Walk out like someone
      suddenly born into color.
      Do it now.
      You're covered with thick cloud.
      Slide out the side. Die,
      and be quiet. Quietness is the surest sign
      that you have died.
      Your old life was a frantic running
      from silence.

      The speechless full moon
      comes out now.

      - Rumi, Ghazal (Ode) 636, version by Coleman Barks, These Branching Moments, posted to Sunlight