#2687 - Monday, January 1, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2007
      #2687 - Monday, January 1, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      Nondual Highlights
      There are years that ask questions,
      and years that answer.

      --Zora Neale Hurston

      "Let truth lead you where you do not want to go, and in time
      you will want to go."

      --Vernon Howard

      "When you live your life in accordance with basic goodness, then you
      develop natural elegance.  Your life can be spacious and relaxed,
      without having to be sloppy.  You can actually let go of your
      depression and embarrassment about being a human being, and you can
      cheer up.."

      --Chogyam Trungpa

      From the book; "Shambhala, The Sacred Path of the Warrior," published
      by Shambhala

      posted to Daily Dharma

      Jasmine comes up...

      Jasmine comes up where You step.
      You breathe on dirt, and it sails off
      like a kite. You wash Your hands,
      and the water You throw out shines with gold.

      You say the first line of the Qur'an
      and all the dead commentators lift their heads.

      Your robe brushes a thornbush,
      and a deep chord of music comes.

      Whatever You break finds itself more intelligent
      for being broken. Every second a new being
      stands in the courtyard of Your chest
      like Adam, without a father or a mother,
      but the beginning of many generations to come.

      I should rhyme that fifty times!

      The beginning of many
      generations to come,

      a line without any
      inclination to end!

      But I won't. I close my mouth
      in hopes You'll open Yours.

      Version by Coleman Barks

      posted to Allspirit

      Some students of religion postpone their lives and then wake up one
      day and say, "Wait a minute, here I am forty years old and I don't
      have a spouse or a career. What am I going to do when I grow up?
      They have let things back up as they wait to be enlightened, or to be
      settled in mind. This shows a misunderstanding of the nature of
      practice. Right practice, the ninth step of the Eightfold Path, does
      not involve waiting for the psyche to ripen. The clock is ticking. Right
      Practice is taking yourself in hand. For the lay student, it can include
      college, a career, and a family. It is to get on with living.

      --Robert Aitken, Encouraging Words, Eightfold Path

      Renunciation does not have to be regarded as negative. I was taught
      that it has to do with letting go of holding back. What one is
      renouncing is closing down and shutting off from life. You could say
      that renunciation is the same thing as opening to the teachings of the
      present moment....
      Renunciation is realizing that our nostalgia for wanting to stay in a
      protected, limited, petty world is insane. Once you begin to get the
      feeling of how big the world is and how vast our potential for
      experiencing life is, then you really begin to understand renunciation.
      When we sit in meditation, we feel our breath as it goes out, and we
      have some sense of willingness just to be open to the present
      moment. Then our minds wander off into all kinds of stories and
      fabrications and manufactured realities, and we say to ourselves,
      "It's thinking." We say that with a lot of gentleness and a lot of
      precision. Every time we are willing to let the story line go, and
      every time we are willing to let go at the end of the outbreath,
      thats fundamental renunciation: learning how to let go of holding on
      and holding back.
      --Pema Chodron

      Suzuki Roshi said, Renunciation is not giving up the things of this
      world, but accepting that they go away. Everything is impermanent;
      sooner or later everything goes away. Renunciation is a state of
      nonattachment, acceptance of this going away. Impermanence is, in
      fact, just another name for perfection. Leaves fall; debris and
      garbage accumulate; out of the debris come flowers, greenery,
      things that we think are lovely. Destruction is necessary. A good
      forest fire is necessary. The way we interfere with forest fires may
      not be a good thing. Without destruction, there could be no new life
      and the wonder of life, the constant change could not be. We must
      live and die. And this process is perfection itself. All this change is
      not, however, what we had in mind. Our drive is not to appreciate the
      perfection of the universe. Our personal drive is to find a way to
      endure in our unchanging glory forever....Who hasn't noticed the first
      gray hair and thought, Uh-oh.
      --Charlotte Joko Beck, Everyday Zen

      “What is grace” I asked God.

      And He said,

      “All that happens.”

      Then He added, when I looked perplexed,

      “Could not lovers
      say that every moment in their Beloved’s arms
      was grace?

      Existence is my arms,
      though I well understand how one can turn
      away from

      until the heart has

      --St John of the Cross

      Every word of every tongue is
      Love telling a story to her own ears.
      Every thought in every mind,
      She whispers a secret to her own Self.
      Every vision in every eye,
      She shows her beauty to her own sight.
      Every smile on every face,
      She reveals her own joy for herself to enjoy.

      Love courses through everything,
      No, Love is everything.
      How can you say, there is no love,
      when nothing but Love exists?
      All that you see has appeared because of Love.
      All shines from Love,
      All pulses with Love,
      All flows from Love--
      No, once again, all IS Love!