#2686 - Sunday, December 31, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2007
      #2686 - Sunday, December 31, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Everything works out in the end.
      If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end.

      --Unknown

      "No longer seeking to know the truth
      nor trying to understand with words,
      I only sit and listen
      to the sound of wind in the trees
      and watch the shadows of the evening
      lengthen into night. "

      --Blue Iris Sangha

      Have confidence in your own spiritual potentiality, your ability to
      find your own unique way. Learn from others certainly and use what
      you find useful, but also learn to trust your own inner wisdom. Have
      courage. Be awake and aware. Remember too that Buddhism is not
      about being a Buddhist; that is, obtaining a new identity tag. Nor is it
      about collecting head-knowledge, practices and techniques. It is
      ultimately about letting go of all forms and concepts and becoming
      free.

      --John Snelling, Elements of Buddhism

      When you do something, you should burn yourself completely,
      like a good bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself.

      --Shunryu Suzuki

      Dukkha is our best teacher. It will not be persuaded by any pleading
      of misery to let go of us. If we may say to a human teacher, I don't
      feel well...., the teacher may reply, "I am very sorry, but if you want
      to go home, then you must go. If we say to dukkha, "Look, I don't
      feel well.... I want to go home," dukkha says, "That's fine, but I am
      coming along." There is no way to say goodbye to it unless and until
      we have transcended our reactions. This means that we have looked
      dukkha squarely in the eye and seen it for what it is: a universal
      characteristic of existence and nothing else. The reason we are
      fooled is that because this life contains so many pleasant occasions
      and sense contacts, we think if we could just keep this pleasantness
      going dukkha would never come again. We try over and over again to
      make this happen, until in the end we finally see that the
      pleasantness cannot continue because the law of impermanence
      intervenes.... So we continue our search for something new, because
      everybody else is doing it too.

      --Ayya Khema, When the Iron Eagle Flies

      Subhuti asked: "How does a person practice all the perfections?"

      The Buddha replied: "By not perceiving any duality. Through
      understanding this nonduality he teaches reality to all beings. With
      physical energy, he travels widely to teach. With mental energy, he
      guards against the arising of such ideas as "permanence or
      impermanence," "good or evil," and so on. With the perfection of
      wisdom, he does not consider anything ultimately real but serves all
      beings with loving attention so that energy, patience, and meditation
      will be aroused in them. But even though he attends to the minutest
      detail of whatever must be done, he never grasps it or tries to make
      ultimate sense of it, because he knows it has no enduring substance
      of its own."

      --Prajnaparmita

      How can the divine Oneness be seen?
      In beautiful forms, breathtaking wonders,
      awe-inspiring miracles?
      The Tao is not obliged to present itself
      in this way.

      If you are willing to be lived by it, you will
      see it everywhere, even in the most
      ordinary things.

      --Lao Tzu

      Thanks to n.m. rai for a link to the following short interview with Coleman Barks.

      Fall in Love the Rumi Way

      Intimacy with other people and with the divine is more about friendship--and hard work--than romance.