#2684 - Friday, December 29, 2006 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2006
      #2684 - Friday, December 29, 2006 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nondual Highlights

      Three interesting and different pieces. Three generations are represented.

      The first is a selection from the TwoMystics blog. It's kitchen table nonduality at its best.

      Second, Asherton's myspace blog is introduced. Glad to see the young people are being corrupted ... er ... I mean ... benefitted ... by the teaching of nonduality.

      Finally, we get to meet the often reclusive author of a great nonduality book, Jnaneshvar: Swami Abhayananda. I've always loved that book and now the Swami has a website in which he tells about his life and offers his books. He was writing and self-publishing classics before most of us could say Nis-ar-ga-dat-ta.

      A couple blog entries between Night Sky and Aware, from http://twomystics.blogspot.com/

      Aware,

      Merry Christmas to you and to our readers who celebrate Christmas! And welcome back! Your post was great – you always get to the heart of the matter.

      (1) Silent Attention

      You wrote, “Question: Can we say that the awareness we speak of is simply what we call our attention, or perhaps silent attention?”

      I do like the term, “silent attention”. Plain “attention” makes me think of paying attention to a lecture or a math problem. But “silent attention” makes me think of that relaxed, open state, where everything is . . . suspended.

      ****

      QUESTION: Shall we talk about silent attention going broadly to everything at once? Or to a single object?

      ****

      (2) Christmas Recipe

      I’d like to share today’s main dish recipe.

      Prime Rib Roast (by committee)

      Preheat oven to 550 degrees F. Season roast with fresh garlic and herbs as desired. Sear roast at 550 for (supposedly) 10 minutes while all adults stand around in kitchen talking.

      When flames are spotted in oven, remove roast. Turn off oven, close kitchen door leading to smoke alarm, open windows. Wait for flames coming from grease under roast to subside.

      Turn oven temperature down to 325 degrees but forget to actually turn oven on. Put roast back into oven. Take roast out again and insert forgotten meat thermometer. Replace roast.

      Let roast sit in turned-off oven for 45 minutes while all adults stand around in kitchen continuing to talk.

      Notice that oven is off, turn oven on, to 350. Cook until meat thermometer says 145.

      Light candles, turn on Handel’s Messiah, and eat. Delicious! Hallelujah!

      night sky

      ~ ~ ~

      night sky,

      Thank you for the post and the "Merry Christmas;” and a Merry Christmas to you!

      Yes, "silent attention" is......"It!" It is in the direction of the pure awareness, or pure consciousness, that many talk about. It so happens that it is that simple. The "silence" sets in when the background chatter quiets down also. It is like the "bootstrap," principle thingy. Somehow the mind can see itself chattering, and somehow the chatter slows, and eventually stops. The mind seeing itself chattering, is part of the process.

      Your question: "Shall we talk about silent attention going broadly to everything at once? Or to a single object?"

      I think it depends upon which one a person likes. It's a personal preference thing. If I start with a single object, my mind floats towards "everything," because my preference is "everything," but we probably should talk about both views.

      Question: Is paying attention and concentrating the same thing?

      It seems that the "Silent Awareness" concept came along just at the right time! We're getting close to the root now. I know, we've been there before, but this time we might get a lot closer to the "heart;" if the "muse" cooperates!

      Toasting the roast sounds interesting! (smile) Real nice! (grin)

      Aware

      ~ ~ ~

      Read more from these guys at http://twomystics.blogspot.com/

      From Asherton's MySpace:

        "Whats with all the changes since the time i was aware its like the apple eating people that we once were arent there"

      Female
      23 years old
      heaven, WASHINGTON
      United States

      asherton's Blurbs

      About me:
      Those who regard non-essence as essence and see essence as non-, don't get to the essence, ranging about in wrong resolves. But those who know essence as essence, and non-essence as non-, get to the essence, ranging about in right resolves.

      Who I'd like to meet:
      never put limits on experience.

      Thursday, December 28, 2006