#2674 - Monday, December 18, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2006
      #2674 - Monday, December 18, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      I exhausted myself, looking.
      No one ever finds this by trying.

      I melted in it and came home,
      where every jar is full,
      but no one drinks.

      - Lalla
      14th Century North Indian mystic

      ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

      From "Naked Song"
      Versions by Coleman Barks
      posted to Along the Way

      The Wisdom of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      "What is the worth of a happiness for which you must strive and work?
      Real happiness is spontaneous and effortless."

      "Delayed reaction is wrong reaction. Thinking, feeling and action must
      be a unity and happen together with the situation requiring them."

      posted to A Net of Jewels

      "Enlightenment is not separate from washing dishes or growing lettuce.
      To learn how to live each moment of our daily life in deep mindfulness
      and concentration is the practice."
      --Thich Nhat Hanh

      posted to Daily Dharma

      "If you just stopped thinking for a while and sat back to reflect on your
      own mind, you would be surprised to realize that you are at peace....

      You were born with this peace-nature of the mind; otherwise you would
      not be what you are would you? You did not run around meditating to
      bring about this peace to yourself: you did not learn from someone or
      some book to make possible this peaceful state in yourself. In other
      words, " you " had nothing to do with it. Peace is a natural mind-state in
      every one of us. ...It is our greatest gift; so why do we think we have no
      peace of mind?"

      (from "Living Meditation, Living Insight" p. 36)

      About Dr. Thynn Thynn . . .

      For Western practitioners of Buddhist insight, the application of mindfulness in daily life, rather than abstract theory, is what connects them most to the teachings. Dr. Thynn Thynn speaks most eloquently on how the path of mindfulness may be available to householders with full responsibilities of jobs and family. Her teachings is a unique presentation of traditional Theravada teachings for lay people, and shows a strong flavour of Zen and Krishnamurti. Dr. Thynn Thynn is a medical doctor-turned-artist from Burma and a Dhamma teacher.

      Dr Thynn Thynn's book "Living Meditation, Living Insight" is in its seventh reprint and can be requested here:

      http://www.buddhanet.net/drthynn.htm

      Thanks to Earl McHugh for sending this quote and book recommendation.

      Ego is like a room of your own, a room with a view with the temperature
      and the smells and the music that you like. You want it your own way.
      You'd just like to have a little peace, you'd like to have a little happiness,
      you know, just gimme a break.

      But the more you think that way, the more you try to get life to come out
      so that it will always suit you, the more your fear of other people and
      what's outside your room grows. Rather than becoming more relaxed, you
      start pulling down the shades and locking the door. When you do go out,
      you find the experience more and more unsettling and disagreeable. You
      become touchier, more fearful, more irritable than ever. The more you
      try to get it your way, the less you feel at home.

      --Pema Chodron, Start Where You Are

      "Q. Does success exist on the human level?

      A. There is a condition which is labeled as success, but it is
      powerless to bring happiness. It is neither good nor bad, right
      nor wrong to succeed in worldly projects. What is self-defeating
      is to identify with either success or failure, and to try to get
      a feeling of self from them."

      --Vernon Howard's Pathways to Perfect Living, p. 76

      The Buddha's maps for the journey to wisdom and happiness are
      attractive to many people because they are so simple. Essentially, he
      taught that it doesn't make sense to upset ourselves about what is
      beyond our control. We don't get a choice about what hand we are dealt
      in this life. The only choice we have is our attitude about the cards we
      hold and the finesse with which we play our hand. When the Buddha taught
      his ideas twenty-five hundred years ago, many people understood him so
      well as soon as they heard him that they were happy ever after. The
      people who didn't understand him immediately needed to practice
      meditation, and then they understood.

      --Sylvia Boorstein, It's Easier Than You Think