#2668 - Monday, December 11, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2006

      #2668 - Monday, December 11, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      The Wisdom of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      "You must find your own way. Unless you find it yourself, it will not be your own
      way and will take you nowhere. Earnestly live your truth as you have found it,
      act on the little you have understood. It is earnestness that will take you
      through, not cleverness - your own or another's."

      The Wisdom of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      "Meet your own self. Be with your own self, listen to it, obey it, cherish it, keep
      it in mind ceaselessly. You need no other guide. As long as your urge for truth
      affects your daily life, all is well with you. Live your life without hurting
      anybody. Harmlessness is a most powerful form of Yoga and it will take you
      speedily to your goal. This is what I call nisarga yoga, the Natural yoga. It is the
      art of living in peace and harmony, in friendliness and love. The fruit of it is
      happiness, uncaused and endless."

      posted to A Net of Jewels

      The Buddha's teachings are unusual in that they explain at great length the
      nature of his enlightenment and the types of meditative disciplines he used to
      gain his insights. He left us a road map to enlightenment. Indeed, his chief
      motivation for teaching was to lead others to the spiritual awakening he
      experienced. Statements attributed to the Buddha make it very clear that all
      sentient beings have the capacity to become Buddhas, and that his own
      realizations occurred by practicing the Dharma he taught. Over the past 2,500
      years the Buddha's teachings have been tested experientially by thousands of
      the greatest sages of Asia. Many have verified for themselves the Buddha's
      words and have achieved the same realizations he did.
      --B. Alan Wallace, Tibetan Buddhism from the Ground Up

      The Peace of Wild Things:

      When despair grows in me
      and I wake in the middle of the night at the least sound
      in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
      I go and lie down where the wood drake
      rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds
      I come into the peace of wild things
      who do not tax their lives with forethought
      of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
      And I feel above me the day-blind stars
      waiting for their light. For a time
      I rest in the grace of the world,
      and am free.

      Wendell Berry

      A reader's contribution by Millie Miller

      What is the whole point of Zen Buddhism?

      like asking:
      "what is the first patriarch's motive for
      coming from the west?"
      see below. ;)

      this is from D.T.Suzuki in his introduction to:
      "Zen in the Art of Archery"
      by Eugen Herrigel

      ~~~

      Zen is the 'everyday mind,' as was proclaimed
      by Baso; this 'everyday mind' is no more than:
      "sleeping when tired, eating when hungry."
      As soon as we reflect, deliberate, and conceptulize,
      the original unconsciousness is lost and a thought
      interferes. We no longer eat while eating, we no
      longer sleep while sleeping. The arrow is off the
      string but does not fly straight to the target, nor
      does the target stand where it is. Calculation which
      is miscalculation sets in. The whole business of
      archery goes the wrong way. The archer's confused
      mind betrays itself in every direction and every
      field of activity.

      Man is a thinking reed but his great works are done
      when he is not calculating and thinking. 'Childlikeness'
      has to be restored with long years of training in the art
      of self-forgetfulness. When this is attained, man thinks
      yet he does not think. He thinks like the showers coming
      down from the sky; he thinks like the wavew rolling on
      the ocean; he thinks like the stars illuminating the nightly
      heavens; he thinks like the green foliage shooting forth
      in the relaxing spring breeze. Indeed, he is the showers,
      the ocean, the stars, the foliage.

      When a man reaches this stage of 'spiritual' development,
      he is a Zen artist of life. He does not need, like the painter,
      a canvas, brushes, and paints; nor does he require, like
      the archer, the bow and arrow and target, and other
      paraphernalia. He has his limbs, head, and other parts.
      His Zen-life expresses itself by means of all these 'tools'
      which are important to its manifestation. His hands and
      feet are the brushes and the whole universe is the canvas
      on which he depicts his life for seventy, eighty, or even
      ninety years.

      Hoyen of Gosozen says: "Here is a man who, turning
      the emptiness of space into a sheet of paper, the waves
      of the ocean into an inkwell, and Mount Sumeru into a
      brush, writes these five characters:
      * so - shi - sai - rai - i.
      To such, I spread my zagu and make my profound bow."

      One may well ask,
      "What does this fantastic pronouncement mean?
      Why is a person who can perform such a feat
      considered worthy of the utmost respect?"
      A Zen master would perhaps answer,
      "I eat when hungry, I sleep when tired."
      If he is nature-minded, he may say,
      "It was fine yesterday and today it is raining."

      ~~~
      * so - shi - sai - rai - i
      These five characters in chinese ...
      literally translated, mean:
      "the first patriarch's motive for coming from the west."
      The theme is often taken up as a subject of * mondo.
      It is the same as asking about the most essential
      thing in Zen.
      When this is understood, Zen is this body itself.

      posted by t.s. on Nonduality Salon

      At that time, the World Honored One,
      wishing to clarify his meaning,
      proclaimed these gathas:

      "Universal Vision, you should know
      that the minds and bodies of
      all sentient beings are illusory.

      The body is the union of the four elements.
      The nature of mind is reducible
      to the [six] sensory objects.

      When the four elements are separated
      from one another, who is the unifier?

      If one practices gradual
      cultivation like this, all will be pure.

      [The nature of Complete Enlightenment]
      is umnoving and pervades the dharmadhatu.

      There is no contrivance, stopping,
      allowing things to be as they are,
      annihilation, nor is there one
      who actualizes [enlightenment].

      All Buddha worlds are like
      flowers in the sky.

      Past, present and future are
      all impartially equal.

      Ultimately there is no coming or going.

      The newly initiated bodhisattvas
      and sentient beings in the Late Age,
      in their quest to enter the Buddha Path,
      should thus cultivate themselves."

      From The Complete Enlightenment Sutra
      posted by Bob O'Hearn on Garden Mystics