#2653 - Sunday, November 26, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2006
      #2653 - Sunday, November 26, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      When you arise in the morning, give thanks for the
      morning light, for your life and strength. Give thanks
      for  your food, and the joy of living. If you see no
      reason for  giving thanks, the fault lies with yourself.

      --Tecumseh, Shawnee Chief

      If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will
      see your parents and all generations of your ancestors.
      All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in
      your body. You are the continuation of each of these
      people. To be born means that something which did not
      exist comes into existence. But the day we are born is
      not our beginning. It is a day of continuation. But that
      should not make us less happy when we celebrate our
      Happy Continuation Day.

      Since we are never born, how can we cease to be?
      This is what the Heart Sutra reveals to us. When we
      have tangible experience of non-birth and non-death,
      we know ourselves beyond duality. The meditation on
      no separate self is one way to pass through the gate
      of birth and death.

      Your hand proves that you have never been born and
      you will never die. The thread of life has never been
      interrupted from time without beginning until now.
      Previous generations, all the way back to single cell
      beings, are present in your hand at this moment. You
      can observe and experience this. Your hand is always
      available as a subject for meditation.

      --Thich Nhat Hanh, Present Moment, Wonderful
      Moment

      hunches

      we don't think in straight lines
      like rulers on a grid

      we think in the roundness of sounds
      the panoply of words

      exhales of the unknown
      along the bare skin of the mind

      gut hunches
      like the burrowings of feral pigs

      on long afternoons
      in unmapped fields

      n.m.rai

      http://spiritfeedings.blogspot.com/2006/11/hunches.html

      "Great poetry can alter the way we see ourselves.
      It can change the way we see the world. You may
      never have read a poem in your life, and yet you
      can pick up a volume, open it to any page, and suddenly
      you see your own original face there; suddenly find
      yourself blown into a world full of awe, dread, wonder,
      marvel, deep sorrow, and joy. Poetry at its best calls
      forth our deep Being, bids us live by its promptings; it
      dares us to break free from the safe strategies of
      the cautious mind; it calls to us, like wild geese, from
      an open sky."

      --Roger Housden
      'Ten Poems to Change Your Life'

      Gill Eardley on Allspirit

      Flight of the Garuda, Song 6:
      by Shabkar Tsokdrug Rangdrol

      E-ma-ho!

      Listen again, fortunate heart-children!
      That which is widely renowned as mind, does anyone have it?

      No one has it!

      What is it the source of?  It is the source of samsara and
      nirvana and their myriad joys and sorrows.

      What is it believed to be?  There are many beliefs according
      to the various vehicles.

      What is it called? It is named in countless different ways.

      All ordinary people call it "I."
      Some non-Buddhists call it "self."
      Shravakas call it "individual egolessness."
      The Mind Only School label it "mind."
      Some call it "Prajnaparamita," "transcendent knowledge."

      Some label it "sugatagarbha," "Buddha-nature."
      Some name it "Mahamudra."
      Some give it the name "Madhyamika."
      Some say "the single sphere."
      Some name it "dharmadhatu," "realm of phenomena."
      Some call it the name "alaya," "ground of all."
      Some call it "ordinary mind."

      Despite the innumerable names that are tagged onto it,
      Know that the real meaning is as follows:
      Let your mind spontaneously relax and rest.
      When left to itself, ordinary mind is fresh and naked.
      If observed, it is a vivid clarity without anything to see,
      A direct awareness, sharp and awake.
      Possessing no existence, it is empty and pure,
      A clear openness of non-dual luminosity and emptiness.

      It is not permanent, since it does not exist at all.
      It is nothingness, since it is vividly clear and awake.
      It is not oneness, since many things are cognised and known.
      It is not plurality, since the many things known are inseparable
      in one taste.

      It is not somewhere else; it is your own awareness itself.
      The face of this Primordial Protector, dwelling in your heart,
      Can be directly perceived in this very instant.
      Never be separated from it, children of my heart!

      If you want to find something greater than this in another place,
      It's like going off searching for footprints although the elephant
      is right there.
      You may scan the entire three-thousand-fold universe,
      But it is impossible that you will find more than the mere name of
      Buddha.

      This is the song which indicates the natural state of the main
      practice.

      http://www.khandro.net/meditation_garuda.htm

      Gill Eardley on Allspirit