#2646 - Sunday, November 19, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2006
      #2646 - Sunday, November 19, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Ta-sui was asked, "Buddha's truth is everywhere;
      so where do you  teach your students to plant their
      feet?"

      He replied, "The vast ocean lets fish leap freely;
      the endless sky lets  birds fly freely."

      From "The Pocket Zen Reader," edited by Thomas
      Cleary, 1999.

      Let's try an experiment. Pick up a coin. Imagine that it represents
      the object at which you are grasping. Hold it tightly clutched in
      your fist and extend your arm, with the palm of your hand facing
      the ground. Now if you let go or relax your grip, you will lose
      what you are clinging onto. That's why you hold on. But there's
      another possibility: You can let go and yet keep hold of it. With
      your arm still outstretched, turn your hand so that it faces the
      sky. Release your hand and the coin still rests on your open palm.
      You let go. And the coin is still yours, even with all this space
      around it. So there is a way in which we can accept impermanence
      and still relish life, at one and the same time, without grasping.

      --Sogyal Rinpoche, The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying

      The world no longer holds him.
      He has gone beyond
      The bounds of human nature.

      Without compassion
      Or the wish to harm,
      Without pride or humility.

      Nothing disturbs him.
      Nothing surprises him.

      Because he is free,
      He neither craves nor disdains
      The things of the world.

      He takes them as they come.

      His mind is always detached.

      --Ashtavakra Gita 17:16-17

      From "The Heart of Awareness:
      A Translation of the Ashtavakra Gita,"
      by Thomas Byrom, 1990.

      The view of interdependence makes for a great openness of mind.
      In general, instead of realizing that what we experience arises
      from a complicated network of causes, we tend to attribute
      happiness or sadness, for example, to single, individual sources.
      But if this were so, as soon as we came into contact with what we
      consider to be good, we would automatically be happy, and
      conversely, in the case of bad things, invariably sad. The causes
      of joy and sorrow would be easy to identify and target. It would
      all be very simple, and there would be good reason for our anger
      and attachment. When, on the other hand, we consider that
      everything we experience results from a complex interplay of
      causes and conditions, we find that there is no single thing to
      desire or resent, and it is more difficult for the afflictions of
      attachment or anger to arise. In this way, the view of
      interdependence makes our mind more relaxed and open.

      --The Dalai Lama, A Flash of Lightening in the Dark of Night

      JESUS

      I am a secret follower of yours.
      Not the kind that are known
      by a name you never pronounced.
      Not the kind that raise
      icons of your torture
      and call that worship
      their love.

      I did not kill you
      nor does my soul depend
      upon your forgiveness.

      I am a follower in the sense
      that the earth is a follower of the sun.
      I follow your laughter and
      the gift of your manhood.
      Your gentle strength
      and the way you loved women.