#2640 - Sunday, November 12, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12 8:32 PM
      #2640 - Sunday, November 12, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights
      There is no one here
      except the Lord of Love.
      Only He exists.
      In truth, He alone is.

      --Mundaka Upanishad

      When you see yourself
      and someone else
      as one being,

      when you know the most joyful day
      and the most terrible night
      as one moment, then

      awareness is alone
      with its Lord.

      - Lalla
      14th Century North Indian mystic

      ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

      From "Naked Song"
      Versions by Coleman Barks
      posted to Along the Way

      What We Need Is Here

      Geese appear high over us,
      pass, and the sky closes. Abandon,
      as in love or sleep, holds
      them to their way, clear
      in the ancient faith: what we need
      is here. And we pray, not
      for new earth or heaven, but to be
      quiet in heart, and in eye,
      clear. What we need is here.

      --Wendell Berry

      We can demonstrate that the experience of steady practice
      influences the quality of our lives, but the nature of the essential
      urge toward enlightenment is enlightenment itself. The very fact
      that we are intrigued with the spiritual quest stems from the source
      of the Light, so to speak. Consequently, enlightenment is not an end;
      it is truer to say that it is the beginning.
      --David A. Cooper, Silence, Simplicity, and Solitude

      A wonderful painting is the result of feeling in your fingers. If you
      have the feeling of the thickness of the ink in your brush, the
      painting is already there before you paint. When you dip your brush
      into the ink you already know the result of your drawing, or else you
      cannot paint. So before you do something, being is there, the result
      is there. Even though you look as if you were sitting quietly, all your
      activity, past and present, is included; and the result of your sitting
      is also already there. You are not resting at all. All the activity is
      included within you. That is your being. So all results of your practice
      are included in your sitting. This is our practice, our zazen.
      --Shunryu Suzuki, Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind

      Have no fear in not knowing what to do about a problem. Fear
      activates its negative relatives of impulsiveness, ego-protection, and
      an anxious craving for security.
      Instead, let the mind be still. Never think of fighting, for an answer
      won by fighting will soon require another answer and another fight.
      The problem exists because of an agitated mind, so when the mind
      rests from its own agitation, there is no problem at all."
      --Vernon Howard,  from the book "Esoteric Mind Power",
      Daily Dharma

      The Ponds
      Every year
      the lilies
      are so perfect
      I can hardly believe

      their lapped light crowding
      the black,
      mid-summer ponds.
      Nobody could count all of them --

      the muskrats swimming
      among the pads and the grasses
      can reach out
      their muscular arms and touch

      only so many, they are that
      rife and wild.
      But what in this world
      is perfect?

      I bend closer and see
      how this one is clearly lopsided --
      and that one wears an orange blight --
      and this one is a glossy cheek

      half nibbled away --
      and that one is a slumped purse
      full of its own
      unstoppable decay.

      Still, what I want in my life
      is to be willing
      to be dazzled --
      to cast aside the weight of facts

      and maybe even
      to float a little
      above this difficult world.
      I want to believe I am looking

      into the white fire of a great mystery.
      I want to believe that the imperfections are nothing --
      that the light is everything -- that it is more than the sum
      of each flawed blossom rising and fading. And I do.

      --Mary Oliver