#2629 - Monday, October 30, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2006
      #2629 - Monday, October 30, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      "Love itself is the actual form of God."

      Sri Ramana

      In "Letters from Sri Ramanasramam" by Suri Nagamma

      from Avadhuata Gita:

      The Self certainly does not become pure through the practice of
      six-limbed yoga.
      It certainly is not purified by the destruction of the mind.
      It certainly is not made pure by the instructions of the teacher.
      It is Itself the Truth.
      It is Itself the illumined One

      Love to all
      Harsha, posted to HarshaSatsangh

      This was posted to the HS list in January 1999. We don't know if the
      poster Mic (Mohan) is still around but he did share some wonderful
      moments and stories. Here is his first post to the list. It filled my
      heart with warmth.

      Love to all Harsha
      ________________

      Hello all,

      A brief intro. My name is mic, tho most of my friends here call me
      mohan. Advaita has found its way as my heart from the summer of 91,
      when while wandering India, by chance I encountered Sri Poonjaji, a
      disciple of Bhagavan Ramana Mahrishi.

      I stayed with him and the small gathering there for two months, a
      time of great joy, intensity, revelation and incomprehensible silence. I
      mostly recall the great stillness. The presence of this man.

      In this dirty town of swirling dust storms and buildings swimming in
      the heat before me. At night candles cast a golden hue upon the
      markets, dancing in the buzz of bicycle song and branches of lush red
      lychees being sold on the dusty streets. The silence. The torrential
      flow of humanity, pulsing through the hot polluted streets, watermelon
      stalls, the astonishing passion of seekers at his house, like the
      sweetness of sugarcane juice. And the end of seeking itself in the
      embrace of the always so.

      Like many there I had walked other roads in my search. I had come to
      India on a Buddhist yatra, with plans to finish the journey in a Thai
      monastery. Yet relaxing into this resplendent heart of being, the
      seeking and the struggle fell, the seeker and the story melt away as
      monsoon rains drench me in joy.

      And I finally see the True heart of advaita, as my own.

      Leaving India, with the blessing of the mountain, I felt almost drunk
      on the ringing clarity of these words from the Tripura Rahasya; "
      Know yourself as Pure Consciousness, the unaffected witness of the
      phenomenal world."

      Integrating this with a world that demands commitment and
      authenticity, I meet with surrender and an open heart. Some days I
      struggle, some days I sing. The devotion I feel to shakti I know is but
      a reflection within consciousness of this love. The silence. And it is in
      this love I am earthed in freedom, and can play out my role in the
      theater of this world in peace.

      warm regards, mohan

      Enlightenment is not about words and thoughts and concepts which can
      be doubted. Enlightenment is always Here.

      By "Here" I don't mean this present space. Here is somewhere within
      where mind cannot reach. Presence is always Here and you are always
      That. This Here is not the opposite of "there." This Here is nowhere,
      it is your Heart. When mind is still all comes back to the Heart. All the
      cosmos is but a speck in your Heart.

      Turn mind over into This Here and it is lost. Then only Light, Wisdom
      and Love remain and This you are not different or apart from.

      --Papaji (Sri Poonjaji)

      posted to Along the Way

      see link for more

      Monk: "Where can I enter Zen?"
      Gensha: "Can you hear the babbling brook?"
      Monk: "Yes, I can hear it."
      Gensha: "Then enter there."

      posted to Allspirit

      You might think that if you let go of your ego world, you become
      passive and defenseless like some kind of crash dummy and people will
      take advantage of you. Or that you might wander around aimlessly in
      the street without an agenda. If this were the case, as one
      contemporary Buddhist master pointed out, it would be necessary to
      have enlightenment wards in hospitals to take care of bruised or
      socially inoperative buddhas. But this is not the case. Rather than
      being inmate types, people who have become enlightened to any
      degree are builders of hospitals for other people. Their intelligence
      and compassion are relatively unobstructed, and they tend to become
      quite active and effective citizens.

      --Samuel Bercholz, in Entering the Stream

      see link for more

      This is from: 'A Handful of Zen' by Camden Benares

      The Path

      A Taoist teacher asked her student to accompany her on a hike. The
      teacher, with her student at her side, walked to the foot of a small
      mountain and started up the path that led to the top. About halfway
      up, she stopped and asked her student, "Which way is up?" He pointed
      up. She asked, "which way is down?" He pointed down. She said, "The
      same path takes you up and down. That is the unity of opposites. If you
      again tell me that you don't understand the unity of opposites, I will
      tell you to take a hike."

      posted to Allspirit

      Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

      The Heat of Midnight Tears

      By Mirabai
      (1498 - 1565?)

      English version by Robert Bly

      Listen, my friend, this road is the heart opening,
      Kissing his feet, resistance broken, tears all night.

      If we could reach the Lord through immersion in water,
      I would have asked to be born a fish in this life.
      If we could reach Him through nothing but berries and wild nuts,
      Then surely the saints would have been monkeys when they came from the womb!
      If we could reach him by munching lettuce and dry leaves,
      Then the goats would surely go to the Holy One before us!

      If the worship of stone statues could bring us all the way,
      I would have adored a granite mountain years ago.

      Mirabai says: The heat of midnight tears will bring you to God.

      -- from The Winged Energy of Delight, Translated by Robert Bly