#2622 - Monday, October 23, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2006
      #2622 - Monday, October 23, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

      --Ben Williams

      "Horses and children, I often think, have a lot of the
      good sense there is in the world."

      --Josephine Demott Robinson

      Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

      See how, shaped by the excellence of the path,

      By Shabkar (Shabkar Tsogdruk Rangdrol)
      (1781 - 1851)

      English version by Matthieu Ricard

      See how, shaped by the excellence of the path,
      I walk now without effort
      toward the Buddha state.
      I dance, I sing, I play!

      -- from Rainbows Appear: Tibetan Poems of Shabkar, Translated by Matthieu Ricard

      Amazon.com

      ============

      Thought for the Day:

      Never confuse innocence with naivete.
      Naivete must be carefully removed,
      while innocence is your true nature.

      ============

      Here's your Daily Music selection --

      Suzin Green & Sura

      Hearts on Fire

      Listen - Purchase

      More Music Selections

      Shabkar Tsogdruk Rangdrol, often referred to simply as Shabkar (sometimes transliterated as Shapkar), was born in the Amdo province of northeastern Tibet.

      He entered monastic studies at the age of eight and took full ordination at 21.

      As a youth, he resisted pressure from his family to marry and devoted himself fully to spiritual practice and took full ordination at age 21. While still a young man, he became respected for his scholarship. When Shabkar was 25, he took up the life of a wandering pilgrim and hermit, traveling for the next thirty years to sacred sites and pilgirmage destinations. His life as a wandering ascetic and his songs of spiritual insight became widely known, earning him comparisons with the great wandering Buddhist yogi-poet Milarepa.

      Shabkar was a renowned teacher and lineage holder of the Dzogchen tradition.

      Shabkar was a nature mystic, conversing with sky and mountain and tree, seeing in them embodiments of teachers and fundamental truths. He was also famous for his love of animals and, like St. Francis of Assisi, he is said to have taught wild animals.

      We should take a cue from Shabkar and remember to dance and sing and play on the road to enlightenment. Or, rather, recognize that we are already dancing; we just need to remove the effort of self from the pathway...

      Have a beautiful day!

      Ivan

      If It Is Not Too Dark

      Go for a walk, if it is not too dark.
      Get some fresh air, try to smile.
      Say something kind
      To a safe-looking stranger, if one happens by.

      Always exercise your heart's knowing.

      You might as well attempt something real
      Along this path:

      Take your spouse or lover into your arms
      The way you did when you first met.
      Let tenderness pour from your eyes
      The way the Sun gazes warmly on the earth.

      Play a game with some children.
      Extend yourself to a friend.
      Sing a few ribald songs to your pets and plants -
      Why not let them get drunk and wild!

      Let's toast
      Every rung we've climbed on Evolution's ladder.
      Whisper, "I love you! I love you!"
      To the whole mad world.

      Let's stop reading about God -
      We will never understand Him.

      Jump to your feet, wave your fists,
      Threaten and warn the whole Universe

      That your heart can no longer live
      Without real love!

      ~ Hafiz ~

      (I Heard God Laughing - Renderings of Hafiz by Daniel Ladinsky)

      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html

      Long Afternoon at the Edge of Little Sister Pond

      As for life
      I'm humbled,
      I'm without words
      sufficient to say

      how it has been hard as flint,
      and soft as a spring pond
      both of these
      and over and over,

      and long pale afternoons besides,
      and so many mysteries
      beautiful as eggs in a nest,
      still unhatched

      though warm and watched over
      by something I have never seen—
      a tree angel, perhaps,
      or a ghost of holiness.

      Every day I walk out into the world
      to be dazzled, then to be reflective.
      It suffices, it is all comfort—
      along with human love,

      dog love, water love, little-serpent love,
      sunburst love, or love for that smallest of birds
      flying among the scarlet flowers.
      There is hardly time to think about

      stopping, and lying down at last
      to the long afterlife, to the tenderness
      yet to come, when
      time will brim over the singular pond, and become forever,

      and we will pretend to melt away into the leaves.
      As for death,
      I can't wait to be the hummingbird,
      can you?

      Mary Oliver
      from Owls and Other Fantasies: Poems and Essays