#2621 - Sunday, October 22, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2006
      When I Am Among the Trees -- Mary Oliver

      #2621 - Sunday, October 22, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      When I Am Among the Trees

      When I am among the trees,
      especially the willows and the honey locust,
      equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
      they give off such hints of gladness,
      I would almost say that they save me, and daily.

      I am so distant from the hope of myself,
      in which I have goodness, and discernment,
      and never hurry through the world
      but walk slowly, and bow often.

      Around me the trees stir in their leaves
      and call out, "Stay awhile."
      The light flows from their branches.

      And they call again, "It's simple," they say,
      "and you too have come
      into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
      with light, and to shine."

      ~ Mary Oliver ~

      (Thirst)

      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html

      "Once you realize that the road is the goal and that
      you are always on the road, not to reach a goal, but
      to enjoy its beauty and its wisdom, life ceases to be
      a task and becomes natural and simple,
      in itself an ecstasy."

      --Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      Morality

      Morality as taught by way of rules is extremely powerful and valuable in the
      development of practice. It must be remembered that it, like all the techniques in
      meditation, is merely a tool to enable one to eventually get to that place of
      unselfishness where morality and wisdom flow naturally. In the West, there's a myth
      that freedom means free expression--that to follow all desires wherever they take one
      is true freedom. In fact, as one serves the mind, one sees that following desires,
      attractions, repulsions is not at all freedom, but is a kind of bondage. A mind filled with
      desires and grasping inevitably entails great suffering. Freedom is not to be gained
      through the ability to perform certain external actions. True freedom is an inward state
      of being. Once it is attained, no situation in the world can bind one or limit one's
      freedom. It is in this context that we must understand moral precepts and moral rules.

      --Jack Kornfield, Living Dharma

      Discipline

      "Discipline" is a difficult word for most of us. It conjures up images of
      somebody standing over you with a stick, telling you that you're wrong.
      But self-discipline is different. It's the skill of seeing through the hollow
      shouting of your own impulses and piercing their secret. They have no
      power over you. It's all a show, a deception. Your urges scream and
      bluster at you; they cajole; they coax; they threaten; but they really carry
      no stick at all. You give in out of habit. You give in because you never
      really bother to look beyond the threat. It is all empty back there. There
      is only one way to learn this lesson, though. The words on this page
      won't do it. But look within and watch the stuff coming up--restlessness,
      anxiety, impatience, pain--just watch it come up and don't get involved.
      Much to your surprise, it will simply go away. It rises, it passes away. As
      simple as that. There is another word for self-discipline. It is patience.

      --Henepola Gunaratana, Mindfulness in Plain English

      Vicki has pointed out that AWARENESS is the the key.

      William Samuel has pointed out that AWARENESS = IDENTITY. The two go
      together.

      We make the mistake of identifying what we identify as ourselves
      subjectively and judge ourselves rather than objectively and so
      experience the ALLNESS of our total IDENTITY.

      The judgement disappears when we are subjectively aware of the
      fullness of the awareness.

      Some years ago a gourmet chef came to me asking for help in dealing
      with his addiction to cigarettes and smoking. We talked about the
      problem for a while and finally I brought him two glasses of water,
      one from the tap and one from bottled and filtered water.

      He was asked to taste the two waters AS HE WOULD TASTE THE FOOD FOR A
      MEAL. And talk about the difference. He was asked to sip the water as
      if he was tasting a fine wine. The result was astonishing for him. He
      realized he had never "tasted" water in that sense.

      He was then asked to be totally aware of everything about his smoking
      habit, totally aware. Aware of the urge, of getting the cigarette out,
      of lighting it, of inhaling and exhaling, of the fullness of the taste
      of it, of the odors, of putting it out and putting everything
      connected with it away, including noticing the odor of the ashtray as
      he emptied and cleaned it.

      I asked him to do this for the next three weeks and then to call me
      with the results.

      He called back in two weeks for a final appointment. He was totally
      free of smoking! and was ecstatic.

      The point here is that most of the time we eat food in an unexamined
      manner, and an unaware manner.

      We eat to socialize;
      we eat for taste which means we eat for the seasonings;
      we eat to compensate for feelings of emptiness, not from real hunger.

      We therefore don't eat for nourishment or to satisfy the hunger for
      such nourishment; and most importantly we don't eat in such a way as
      to actually taste the food itself.

      For instance, my mother grew up in an era where one cooked spinach to
      death - and Popeye the Sailorman was a conpensation to get children to
      eat truly tasteless food. I was in my 20s before I went to a party
      with a buffet including some wonderful salads and one salad in
      particular was an incredible taste treat. I asked what it was and was
      told that it was fresh, raw spinach! I haven't eaten canned or cooked
      spinach since (Yucky!).

      The key to eating is not about weight which is a consequence of poor
      eating habits due to LACK OF AWARENESS.

      We also blur the tastes by eating a variety of foods at the same time,
      a little of meat, then potatos, then cole slaw, then meat, then drink
      some beverage then more potatoes - and most of it is filled with
      seasonings and butter and sour cream and,,and...and...salt and....

      Under such circumstances we don't TASTE the food.

      A writer opened my eyes in his book, ONE BOWL, in which he suggested
      that we eat one food at a time and truly taste it. In order to really
      do this he suggested that we eat alone for a time. By eating one food
      at a time we educate the body about the fullness of the nutrients and
      value to the body and quickly the body will begin to tell us what it
      wants and needs and our choices for food will be wiser and healthier.
      (BTW he went from just under 400 lbs to a comfortable 190 for his body
      size and structure.)

      After eating the ONE FOOD at a time for a week or two he recommends
      that we examine the "menu" or the pantry and then wait about 20
      minutes for the body to compute its needs and desires. Then we choose
      the food to eat. The goal will be a better dining experience and a
      healthier body - at the right weight for us and tailored to our body's
      needs and function.

      After about a month we will become increasingly aware of the body's
      urge for food, preparing the food, eating the food, digesting the
      food, assimilating the food, and eliminating what is not needed.

      It is important to learn to recognize true hunger from the false
      hungers of compensation. The way to do that is when the urge to eat
      comes - actually stop and make a meal, a sit-down fully aware eating.
      We are in the habit of eating three meals a day and our body's
      metabolism may actually require five smaller meals.

      We are so often unconscious, truly unaware, of what we are nourishing
      ourselves with - including food, thoughts, relationships and activities.

      Where there is an apparent problem the solution is AWARENESS without
      the Judge, truly getting the facts and living in consequence with a
      life that is NATURALLY ALIVE rather than a dulled consciousness of
      suppression, guilt and shame.

      The best and most ALIVENESS comes when we are most truly ourselves in
      full awareness and consciousness of what we are about. The best
      results tailored to our individuality come NATURALLY and reveals our
      true IDENTITY free from the Judge.

      Be well and well-nourished in all areas of life,
      la John
      from nondualnow