#2615 - Monday, October 16, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2006
      #2615 - Monday, October 16, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive, Search Engine, and How to Contribute Your Writing: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      It is not necessary to meet your guru on the
      physical plane. The guru is not external.

      --Neem Karoli Baba

      From 'The Buddhist Idea of a Perfect Society'
      by Ajahn Sumedho

      Transcendence means we no longer cling to the world.
      It doesn't mean floating up in the sky and floating away
      from it. It means we live for a lifetime within this human
      form among all the sensory conditions but are no longer
      deluded by them.

      It means we use our ability to reflect and contemplate on our
      existence to the point where we see it clearly as it is. That is
      what we call transcending the world. So one who is transcending
      the world can still act and live in the world but in a very clear and
      pure way because the world is no longer a delusion. We are not
      expecting the world to be anything other than what it is. And the
      world is the mind itself, this mind.

      Full article at:
      http://www.bodhinyanarama.net.nz/sumedho1.htm

      Gill Eardley on Allspirit

      There are two ways of looking at rituals. On the one hand, rituals are an external expression of our inner state. And on the other hand, we strengthen and reinforce our inner state by these external actions. Of course, in reality there are not two things, but rather a unified whole. As we practice together sincerely, we become increasingly aware that such notions as internal and external cannot be separated. This awareness is actually the growing realization of the real harmony that underlies everything.

      --Taizan Maezumi in On Zen Practice

      The secret of beginning a life of deep awareness and sensitivity lies in our willingness to pay attention. Our growth as conscious, awake human beings is marked not so much by grand gestures and visible renunciations as by extending loving attention to the minutest particulars of our lives. Every relationship, every thought, every gesture is blessed with meaning through the wholehearted attention we bring to it. In the complexities of our minds and lives we easily forget the power of attention, yet without attention we live only on the surface of existence. It is just simple attention that allows us truly to listen to the song of a bird, to see deeply the glory of an autumn leaf, to touch the heart of another and be touched. We need to be fully present in order to love a single thing wholeheartedly. We need to be fully awake in this moment if we are to receive and respond to the learning inherent in it.

      --Christina Feldman and Jack Kornfield, in Stories of the Spirit, Stories of the Heart

      "When you want to follow what is right but cannot do so, remember
      that your authentic nature can easily do so."

      "Let your mind and your spirit go silent. Then there is no
      movement, there is no anxious searching for salvation. You sit
      there very quietly and you understand what you have been wrongly
      doing - trying to excuse your behavior in order to keep your
      artificial identity going. The plain fact is, there is never
      any excuse for bad behavior. There's no excuse for any human
      being hurting any other human being. There is no excuse. Never."

      --Vernon Howard

      Your Power of Natural Knowing, p. 161

      Kindness

      Before you know what kindness really is
      you must lose things,
      feel the future dissolve in a moment
      like salt in a weakened broth.
      What you held in your hand,
      what you counted and carefully saved,
      all this must go so you know
      how desolate the landscape can be
      between the regions of kindness.
      How you ride and ride
      thinking the bus will never stop,
      the passengers eating maize and chicken
      will stare out the window forever.

      Before you learn the tender gravity of kindness,
      you must travel where the Indian in a white poncho
      lies dead by the side of the road.
      You must see how this could be you,
      how he too was someone
      who journeyed through the night with plans
      and the simple breath that kept him alive.

      Before you know kindness as the deepest thing inside,
      you must know sorrow as the other deepest thing.
      You must wake up with sorrow.
      You must speak to it till your voice
      catches the thread of all sorrows
      and you see the size of the cloth.

      Then it is only kindness that makes sense anymore,
      only kindness that ties your shoes
      and sends you out into the day to mail letters and purchase bread,
      only kindness that raises its head
      from the crowd of the world to say
      it is I you have been looking for,
      and then goes with you every where
      like a shadow or a friend.

      ~ Naomi Shihab Nye ~

      (Words From Under the Words: Selected Poems)

      for my daughter....

      Social Change at the Base - Thich Nhat Hanh video

      Love and regards,

      Ben, posted to Awakened Awareness

      PS There are a lot of Thich Nhat Hanh videos here:

      video google Thich Nhat Hanh