#2608 - Monday, October 9, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2006
      #2608 - Monday, October 9, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive, Search Engine, and How to Contribute Your Writing: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      The light which shines
      Beyond  all this heaven ..

      Verily, that is the same
      As the Light ..

      Which is here
      Within a person..

      Chandogya 3.13.7

      Hard Rain

      After I heard It's a Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
      played softly by an accordion quartet
      through the ceiling speakers at the Springdale Shopping Mall,
      I understood there's nothing
      we can't pluck the stinger from,

      nothing we can't turn into a soft drink flavor or a t-shirt.
      Even serenity can become something horrible
      if you make a commercial about it
      using smiling, white-haired people

      quoting Thoreau to sell retirement homes
      in the Everglades, where the swamp has been
      drained and bulldozed into a nineteen-hole golf course
      with electrified alligator barriers.

      You can't keep beating yourself up, Billy
      I heard the therapist say on television
                                                               to the teenage murderer,
      About all those people you killed—
      You just have to be the best person you can be,

      one day at a time—

      and everybody in the audience claps and weeps a little,
      because the level of deep feeling has been touched,
      and they want to believe that
      the power of Forgiveness is greater
      than the power of Consequence, or History.

      Dear Abby:
      My father is a businessman who travels.
      Each time he returns from one of his trips,
      his shoes and trousers
                                         are covered with blood-
      but he never forgets to bring me a nice present;
      Should I say something?
                                                             Signed, America.

      I used to think I was not part of this,
      that I could mind my own business and get along,

      but that was just another song
      that had been taught to me since birth—

      whose words I was humming under my breath,
      as I was walking through the Springdale Mall.

      Listen (RealAudio) | How to listen

      Poem: "Hard Rain" by Tony Hoagland from Hard Rain: A Chapbook. © Hollyridge Press. Reprinted with permission. (buy now)

      The dream world, the true freedom of the imagination, does not open to self-conscious manipulation.

      --Sister Wendy Beckett

      posted by n.m. rai to truevision

      "A Bodhisattva Looks at All Beings
      with the Eyes of Compassion."

      "Peace and compassion go hand in hand with understanding and non-
      discrimination.  We choose one thing over another when we
      discriminate.  With the eyes of compassion, we can look at all of
      living reality at once.  A compassionate person sees himself or
      herself in every being.  With the ability to view reality from many
      viewpoints, we can overcome all viewpoints and act compassionately
      in each situation.  This is the highest meaning of the
      word `reconciliation.'"

      --Thich Nhat Hanh

      From the book, "The Sun My Heart," published by Parallax Press

      posted to Daily Dharma

      Knowing What To Do

      I like that the point of convergence of liberation theology, Islamic mysticism, and engaged Buddhism is the sense of love that leads to commitment and involvement with the world, and not a turning-away from the world. A form of wisdom that I strive for is the ability to know what is needed at a given moment in time. When do I need to reside in that location of stillness and contemplation, and when do I need to get up off my ass and do whatever is needed to be done in terms of physical work, or engagement with others, or confrontation with others? I'm not interested in ranking one type of action over the other.

      --bell hooks, Tricycle: The Buddhist Review Fall 1992

      From a Tricycle blog

      Jeff Wilson

      Oct. 4, 2006
      Dispatches from Buddhist Asia #10: Choshoin, Kyoto, Japan

      Sadly, it isn't possible to eat your way to enlightenment. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy enlightened eating. One example is Shojin Ryori, Buddhist vegetarian food that is often associated with Rinzai Zen temples in Kyoto. Few Buddhists in Japan are vegetarian, but in the past it was traditional for monks to eat vegetarian food at least part of the time, and a delicious and unique cuisine grew up around this habit. One of the main forms is yudofu, the specialty of a small Rinzai temple name Choshoin next to the giant Zen complex of Nanzenji.

      The restaurant within Choshoin is known as Okutan, and includes both inside and outside dining areas. While outside dining can be unpleasant at some times of the year, it is usually worth the sacrifice. Though exposed to the heat, you can enjoy the tasteful gardens, which combine sand, stone, water, bushes, and trees. This style is often erroneously called "Zen gardening" in the West, though in fact it neither originates from Zen nor is confined to specifically Zen temples. But there's no denying that many Zen temples have produced amazing gardens, and the opportunity to savor one should never be missed.

      continued at:

      http://www.tricycle.com/blog/jeff_wilson/3617-1.html

      Note: If the food descriptions do not interest you, the photos are worth viewing as art.