#2602 - Monday, October 2, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2006
      #2602 - Monday, October 2, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive, Search Engine, and How to Contribute Your Writing: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm
      "our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
      --Martin Luther King

      Not Passive
      The basic precepts are not passive. They can actively express a compassionate
      heart in our life. Not killing can grow into a reverence for life, a protective caring
      for all sentient beings who share life with us. Not stealing can become the basis for
      a wise ecology, honoring the limited resources of the earth and actively seeking
      ways to live and work that share our blessings worldwide. From this spirit can come
      a life of natural and healing simplicity. Out of not lying we can develop our voice to
      speak for compassion, understanding, and justice. Out of nonharming sexuality, our
      most intimate relations can also become expressions of love, joy, and tenderness.
      Out of not abusing intoxicants or becoming heedless, we can develop a spirit that
      seeks to live in the most awake and conscious manner in all circumstances. At first,
      precepts are a practice. Then they become a necessity, and finally they become a
      joy. When our heart is awakened, they spontaneously illuminate our way in the
      --Jack Kornfield, in A Path with Heart

      "No one sees a truth he does not want to see."
      --Vernon Howard

      A Life Beyond Problems
      One characteristic of a life lived from a thoroughly nondualistic
      perspective is that we no longer have any problems. That is, we
      no longer divide our life into the good parts and the problematic
      parts; there is simply life, one moment after another. Problems
      don't disappear from our life, they disappear into our life.
      --Barry Magid in Ordinary Mind

      "Most people run for cover whenever a negative feeling is exposed  to the light of
      consciousness, consequently, they remain in darkness. You can be a hero. Dare to
      stand in the light. After a while  you will see that the very light you once feared is
      the very light  of your life."
      --Vernon Howard

      Simple Attention
      The secret of beginning a life of deep awareness and sensitivity lies in our
      willingness to pay attention. Our growth as conscious, awake human beings is
      marked not so much by grand gestures and visible renunciations as by extending
      loving attention to the minutest particulars of our lives. Every relationship, every
      thought, every gesture is blessed with meaning through the wholehearted attention
      we bring to it. In the complexities of our minds and lives we easily forget the power
      of attention, yet without attention we live only on the surface of existence. It is
      just simple attention that allows us truly to listen to the song of a bird, to see
      deeply the glory of an autumn leaf, to touch the heart of another and be touched.
      We need to be fully present in order to love a single thing wholeheartedly. We
      need to be fully awake in this moment if we are to receive and respond to the
      learning inherent in it.
      --Christina Feldman and Jack Kornfield, in Stories of the Spirit, Stories of the

      From: 'Transformation and Healing' by Thich Nhat Hanh
      Life is filled with suffering, but it is also filled with many wonderful things. There is
      spring as well as winter, light as well as darkness, health as well as sickness, gentle
      breezes and delightful rains as well as tempests and floods. Our eyes, ears, hearts,
      half- smiles, and breathing are wonderful phenomena. We only need to open our
      eyes and we can see the blue sky, the white clouds, the rose, the clear river, the
      golden fields of wheat, the shining eyes of a child. We only have to attune our ears
      to hear the whispering pines and the waves washing up on the shore. Everything is
      impermanent. Everything is in a temporary form. Nevertheless, there are many
      wonderful things. In us and around us, there are so many wondrous phenomena in
      nature which can refresh and heal us. If we can be in contact with them, we will
      receive their healing benefits. If peace and joy are in our hearts, we will gradually
      bring more peace and joy to the world.