#2599 - Friday, September 29, 2006

  • markotter
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2006

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2599, Friday, September 29, 2006

      i swear my dear son
      no one in the entire world
      is as precious as you are

      look at that mirror
      take a good look at yourself
      who else is there above and beyond you

      now give yourself a kiss
      and with sweet whispers
      fill your ears to the brim

      watch for all that beauty
      reflecting from you
      and sing a love song to your existence

      you can never overdo
      praising your own soul
      you can never over-pamper your heart

      you are both
      the father and the son
      the sugar and the sugar cane

      who else but you
      please tell me who else
      can ever take your place

      now give yourself a smile
      what is the worth of a diamond
      if it doesn't smile

      how can i ever put a price
      on the diamond that you are
      you are the entire treasure of the house

      you and your shadow
      are forever present in this world
      you're that glorious bird of paradise

      - Rumi, Ghazal 2148, from the Diwan-e Shams, poetic translation by Nader Khalili, Rumi, Fountain of Fire

      Few people are capable of wholehearted commitment, and that is why so few people experience a real transformation through their spiritual practice. It is a matter of giving up our own viewpoints, of letting go of opinions and preconceived ideas, and instead following the Buddha's guidelines. Although this sounds simple, in practice most people find it extremely difficult. Their ingrained viewpoints, based on deductions derived from cultural and social norms, are in the way.

      We must also remember that heart and mind need to work together. If we understand something rationally but don't love it, there is no completeness for us, no fulfillment. If we love something but don't understand it, the same applies. If we have a relationship with another person, and we love the person but don't understand him or her, the relationship is incomplete; if we understand that person but don't love him or her, it is equally unfulfilling. How much more so on our spiritual path. We have to understand the meaning of the teaching and also love it. In the beginning our understanding will only be partial, so our love has to be even greater.

      - Ayya Khema, from When the Iron Eagle Flies: Buddhism for the West., posted to DailyDharma

      Like the little stream
      Making its way
      Through the mossy crevices
      I, too, quietly
      Turn clear and transparent

      The wind has settled, the blossoms have fallen;
      Birds sing, the mountains grow dark -
      This is the wondrous power of Buddhism.

      - Ryokan, posted to NondualitySalon

      Way of the Universe

      Grass and trees inherently know
      the inner nature of the universe
      And they are no 'different' from 'me'

      If I could just be like the grass and the trees
      I'd 'find' and know
      the inner Way of the universe

      Men nowadays don't go into this
      inner Way
      Point it out, and they curse it

      A wounded sigh for these folks
      Paupers gone begging
      on a mountain of gold.

      - Kuan Hsiu 832, posted to Mystic_Spirit

      As flowing waters disappear into the mist
      We lose all track of their passage.
      Every heart is its own Buddha.
      Ease off ... become immortal.

      Wake up! The world's a mote of dust.
      Behold heaven's round mirror.
      Turn loose! Slip past shape and shadow,
      Sit side by side with nothing, save Tao.

      - Shih-shu, 1703, Stones and Trees; The Poetry of Shih-Shu, translation by James H. Sanford, The Clouds Should Know Me By Now, posted to NondualitySalon