#2597 - Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2006
      #2597 - Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      The Nondual Highlights

      'The heart that breaks open can contain the whole universe.'
      -- Joanna Macy

      Mr. Yee Is In The Garden

      from Freeze Tag (1984)

      Mr. Yee is in the garden talking to his flowers.
      I don't know what he says
      but I know they love him, little boats
      coming to anchor in his hands

      He weeds and laughs. The thin notes
      of a song glide across the soil, dark
      as the Chinese fishing village
      he hasn't seen in thirty years.

      And beyond the muddy river, in the next town,
      Dusk slides into its car and speeds
      through the red light by the depot
      and arrives in its pale coat.

      Sails gather in the gray:
      orange tiger lilies,
      roses and the fragile
      pink bleeding hearts.

      Mr. Yee is singing them to sleep.
      On the roof the sun balances on its back.
      He stands watchful, hands on his hips.
      Anything could snatch them.

      --Marea Gordett

      Understanding

      "Few people are capable of wholehearted commitment,
      and that is why so few people experience a real
      transformation through their spiritual practice. It is
      a matter of giving up our own viewpoints, of letting
      go of opinions and preconceived ideas, and instead
      following the Buddha's guidelines. Although this
      sounds simple, in practice most people find it
      extremely difficult. Their ingrained viewpoints, based
      on deductions derived from cultural and social norms,
      are in the way.

      "We must also remember that heart and mind need to
      work together. If we understand something rationally
      but don't love it, there is no completeness for us, no
      fulfillment. If we love something but don't understand
      it, the same applies. If we have a relationship with
      another person, and we love the person but don't
      understand him or her, the relationship is incomplete;
      if we understand that person but don't love him or
      her, it is equally unfulfilling. How much more so on
      our spiritual path. We have to understand the meaning
      of the teaching and also love it. In the beginning our
      understanding will only be partial, so our love has to
      be even greater."

      --Ayya Khema

      From the book, "When the Iron Eagle Flies: Buddhism
      for the West", posted to Daily Dharma

      The great Indian teacher Nisargadatta Maharaj once said,

      "Wisdom tells me I am nothing. Love tells me I am everything.
      Between the two  my life flows." "

      I am nothing" does not mean that there is a bleak  wasteland within.
      It does mean that with awareness we open to a  clear, unimpeded
      space, without center or periphery--nothing  separate. If we are
      nothing, there is nothing at all to serve as a  barrier to our
      boundless expression of love. Being nothing in this  way, we are also,
      inevitably, everything. "Everything" does not mean
      self-aggrandizement, but a decisive recognition of interconnection;
      we are not separate. Both the clear, open space of "nothing" and the
      interconnectedness of "everything" awaken us to our true nature.
      This is the truth we contact when we meditate, a sense of unity
      beyond suffering. It is always present; we merely need to be able to
      access it.

      --Sharon Salzberg, Lovingkindness

      Circles
      Hafiz

      The moon is most happy
      when it is full.

      And the sun always looks
      like a perfectly minted gold coin

      that was just polished
      and placed in flight
      by God's playful kiss.

      And so many varieties of fruit
      hang plump and round

      from branches that seem like a Sculptor's hands.

      I see the beautiful curve of a pregnant belly
      shaped by a soul within,

      and the Earth itself,
      and the planets and the Spheres -

      I have gotten the hint:

      here is something about circles
      the Beloved likes.

      Hafiz,
      Within the Circle of a Perfect One

      there is an Infinite Community
      of Light

      'I Heard God Laughing - Renderings of Hafiz' by Daniel Ladinsky
      _._,_.___ posted by Sam Pasiencier