#2586 - Saturday, September 16, 2006

  • markotter
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2006

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2586, Saturday, September 16, 2006

      Gladiator...

      We each play
      the role of gladiator,
      at one time
      or another...
      each of us,
      in our own
      personal arenas,
      that we have erected
      with our own effort,
      and,
      that we,
      ourselves,
      have populated
      with both spectators
      and
      challenging opponents,
      of our own choosing...

      - In Love and Compassion... ARIAL, posted to Mystic_Spirit

      If one thinks of oneself as free, one is free, and if one thinks of oneself as bound, one is bound. Here this saying is true, "Thinking makes it so." 1.11

      Your real nature is as the one perfect, free, and actionless consciousness, the all-pervading witness -- unattached to anything, desireless and at peace. It is from illusion that you seem to be involved in samsara. 1.12

      Meditate on yourself as motionless awareness, free from any dualism, giving up the mistaken idea that you are just a derivative consciousness or anything external or internal. 1.13

      You have long been trapped in the snare of identification with the body. Sever it with the knife of knowledge that "I am awareness," and be happy, my son - (dg: and my daughter.)1.14

      - from the Ashtavakra Sutra, posted to DailyDharma

      The lion of destiny is dragging our souls,
      preoccupied with the business of the world,
      into the jungles of death.
      People fear poverty,
      plunged as they are up to their necks in briny water.
      If they feared the Creator of poverty,
      treasures would reveal themselves.
      Through fear of affliction,
      they sink into the very essence of affliction:
      in their quest for life in the world,
      they have lost it.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi III:2204-2207, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski, Rumi: Jewels of Remembrance, posted to Sunlight

      About the Oneness

      With nothing wanting,
      nothing superfluous:

      It is indeed due to making choices
      That 'its suchness' is lost sight of.

      Pursue not 'outer' entanglements
      Dwell not in an inner void ...

      When the mind rests serene
      in the Oneness of things
      Dualism vanishes by itself.

      When you strive to gain quiescence
      by stopping motion,

      The 'quiescence' thus gained
      is ever in motion ...

      As long as you tarry in 'dualism'
      How can you realize the 'Oneness?'

      - Chien-chih Seng-ts'an, posted to Mystic_Spirit

      When we were heading for southern Arabia, a barefooted and bareheaded dervish joined our caravan at Kufa (in the north). I saw that he was penniless, but he strode along purposefully, reciting as he walked:

      Neither do I burden a camel Nor do I carry a camel's burden; Neither do I rule, nor am I ruled. Neither have I anxieties about the Past, the Present or the Future. Fully I breathe, fully I live life.

      A certain merchant mounted on a camel, advised him to turn back. Otherwise, he said, the dervish would certainly die of hardship and lack of nouishment. Ignoring this advice, the derivsh marched on. When we reached Beni Hamud oasis the merchant died. The dervish standing by the bier exclaimed:

      I did not die of my hardships; But you, on your camel, have died.

      - Saadi of Shariz as collected by Idries Shah. posted to SufiMystic

      If a response is required in a situation, focus within and feel the inner body. You will immediately become still and present as you withdraw consciousness from the mind, and the answer or action will come up from this deeper level.

      - Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now, posted to AlongTheWay