#2581 - Monday, September 11, 2006 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2006
      #2581 - Monday, September 11, 2006 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive, Search Engine, and How to Contribute Your Writing: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      This issue begins with a poem by Anna Ruiz in the spirit of the memory of 9/11.

      Then there are excerpts from some old books found at http://www.gutenberg.org. There are thousands of classic books available for download or to be read onsite.

      Anna Ruiz

      Tomorrow will be 9/11 when the USA officially was enjoined  at the hip with the world at large.  In the heartbreak and misery of war on her own bright shores on a large scale. We had no choice but to wake up, take notice and resolve in some sort of compassion with the world of suffering—of  limb and life’s loss.

      Is it a wonder that a country based on a religion that needs a God-man  to die to be saved and enter the gates of  heaven and those who believe that one must kill and die against the infidels  to reach heaven and its virginal prize, should meet in an act of terror?

      Heaven is right here and now, nirvana is not so far away unless one ‘saves’ it for  a later day.  IMHImagination.

      I want to be the Christ child today

      Wrapped in swaddling, cozy in a manger

      Star of Bethlehem rising in the night

      Warmed by the love of Mother Mary and

      Joseph with his staff, smiling upon me.

      I want to be innocent

      I want to be selfish

      I want to return

      To the Purity of a Child.

      Please.

      I have had enough of heartbreak,

      I have seen enough death and destruction

      Starvation and calamity to last millions

      Of incarnations.

      Please.

      I have seen too much blood shed, too many

      Hearts ripped asunder as the bodies blow apart

      Please.

      Give me grace, oh Lord.

      I pray to the four winds.

      I fall on my knees.

      I bow, I say Namaste,

      I pray with folded hands

      I raise my open palms to the level of my shoulders,

      I look for a hole in the wall to lay my wailing on.

      Please.

      Let me laugh again

      Please return me the Love

      Of A Child.

      Peace and Love,

      Anna

      12/24//05

      The author found herself taken captive in a American war. The book is about her trials. The excerpt reveals her profound perspective of the experience, of her life, and of life as it is.

      Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson
      by Mary White Rowlandson (1635-1710)
      I have seen the extreme vanity of this world:  One hour I have
      been in health, and wealthy, wanting nothing.  But the next hour
      in sickness and wounds, and death, having nothing but sorrow and
      affliction.

      Before I knew what affliction meant, I was ready sometimes to
      wish for it.  When I lived in prosperity, having the comforts of
      the world about me, my relations by me, my heart cheerful, and
      taking little care for anything, and yet seeing many, whom I
      preferred before myself, under many trials and afflictions, in
      sickness, weakness, poverty, losses, crosses, and cares of the
      world, I should be sometimes jealous least I should have my
      portion in this life, and that Scripture would come to my mind,
      "For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every Son
      whom he receiveth" (Hebrews 12.6).  But now I see the Lord had
      His time to scourge and chasten me.  The portion of some is to
      have their afflictions by drops, now one drop and then another;
      but the dregs of the cup, the wine of astonishment, like a
      sweeping rain that leaveth no food, did the Lord prepare to be
      my portion.  Affliction I wanted, and affliction I had, full
      measure (I thought), pressed down and running over.  Yet I see,
      when God calls a person to anything, and through never so many
      difficulties, yet He is fully able to carry them through and
      make them see, and say they have been gainers thereby.  And I
      hope I can say in some measure, as David did, "It is good for me
      that I have been afflicted."  The Lord hath showed me the vanity
      of these outward things.  That they are the vanity of vanities,
      and vexation of spirit, that they are but a shadow, a blast, a
      bubble, and things of no continuance.  That we must rely on God
      Himself, and our whole dependance must be upon Him.  If trouble
      from smaller matters begin to arise in me, I have something at
      hand to check myself with, and say, why am I troubled?  It was
      but the other day that if I had had the world, I would have
      given it for my freedom, or to have been a servant to a
      Christian.  I have learned to look beyond present and smaller
      troubles, and to be quieted under them.  As Moses said, "Stand
      still and see the salvation of the Lord" (Exodus 14.13).

      From the following book are a few phrases that sound poetic strung
      together. They were taken in the order they appear within a section
      of the book, which consists of 15,000 phrases.

      Fifteen Thousand Useful Phrases
      A Practical Handbook Of Pertinent Expressions, Striking
      Similes, Literary, Commercial, Conversational, And
      Oratorical Terms, For The Embellishment Of Speech And
      Literature, And The Improvement Of The Vocabulary Of Those
      Persons Who Read, Write, And Speak English

      Greenville Kleiser (1868-1953)

      A jeweler that glittered like his shop

      A lady that lean'd on his arm like a queen in a fable of old fairy days

      A life, a Presence, like the air

      A life as common and brown and bare as the box of earth in the window there

      A light wind outside the lattice swayed a branch of roses to and fro,

         shaking out their perfume as from a swung censer

      A lightning-phrase, as if shot from the quiver of infallible wisdom

      A list of our unread books torments some of us like a list of murders

      A little breeze ran through the corn like a swift serpent

      A little weed-clogged ship, gray as a ghost

      A long slit of daylight like a pointing finger

      A memory like a well-ordered cupboard

      A mighty wind, like a leviathan, plowed the brine

      A mind very like a bookcase

      A mystery, soft, soothing and gentle, like the whisper of a child
      murmuring its happiness in its sleep

      Originally published by the Yoga Publication Society in 1918, the
      following book is an example of the western nonduality of the early
      Twentieth Century, which was delivered in terms of achieving goals
      and success. Nonduality is still presented in the context of success,
      though now we could probably find a different shade of meaning for
      success. Also there is an available body of work on pure nonduality.

      The book concludes with the following nondual conclusion:

      The Power of Concentration

      Theron Q. Dumont

      The more we become conscious of the presence of the higher self the
      more we should try to become a true representative of the human soul
      in all its wholeness and holiness, instead of wasting our time
      dwelling on some trifling external quality or defect. We should try
      to secure a true conception of what we really are so as not to over
      value the external furnishings. You will then not surrender your
      dignity or self respect, when others ignorantly make a display of
      material things to show off. Only the person that realizes that he is
      a permanent Being knows what the true self is.