#2580 - Sunday, September 10, 2006 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2006
      #2580 - Sunday, September 10, 2006 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive, Search Engine, and How to Contribute Your Writing: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      In this issue is an excerpt from The Observer's Nook, the quarterly letter from Richard Rose Teachings.

      photo: Richard Rose

      THE OBSERVER’S NOOK

      Volume One, Number Four
      September 1, 2006

      “Know that while you are dying, that
      you have been dead for years.”
      -- Richard Rose

      Sounds pretty dismal. But any seeker on
      a path of retreat from error knows this.
      It’s no great secret. “We don’t get out of
      this alive,” as a well-humored friend
      from the nursing home once told me. But
      not everyone gets out of “this” with
      awareness that they may have been
      “asleep” all their lives.

      Richard Rose’s mission and commitment
      to himself was to offer a ways and
      means for the sincere seeker to escape
      the illusion of life’s games. On the other
      hand he advised not to wake the
      sleepers. Not everyone is convinced that
      they have been dead for years.
      Regardless, he made himself available,
      day or night, to those who were troubled
      or questioning their purpose in being
      here. In his lectures he often referred the
      listener to Richard Bucke, who wrote in
      his book Cosmic Consciousness that
      there’s about a one in a million chance
      of finding Enlightenment. However,
      Richard Rose continually encouraged
      people to “keep throwing mud at the
      ceiling.” Like Jim Carey said in “Dumb
      and Dumber” – “So you’re telling me
      there’s a chance?”

      Richard’s first advice to me when I met
      him all those years ago in Providence,
      Rhode Island was that if a person wants
      an answer to the question “Who am I?”
      they need to, first and foremost, make a
      commitment. There’s a formula, he said.
      It was synchronistic that he should say
      that because hanging on my painting
      studio door was the following quote by
      W.A. Murray (the fellow that climbed
      Mt. Everest):

      “Until one is committed, there is
      hesitancy, the chance to draw back,
      always ineffectiveness. Concerning all
      acts of initiative (and creation), there is
      one elementary truth, the ignorance of
      which kills countless ideas and splendid
      plans: that the moment one definitely
      commits oneself, then providence moves
      too.

      “All sorts of things occur to help one
      that would never otherwise have
      occurred. A whole stream of events
      issues from the decision, raising in one’s
      favor all manner of unforeseen incidents,
      and meetings and material assistance,
      which no man could have dreamt would
      have come his way.

      “I have learned a deep respect for one of
      Goethe’s couplets: Whatever you can do,
      or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has
      genius, power and magic in it.“

      The blueprint is laid out for us to
      discover. The Albigen Papers is just one
      source handbook for learning to read the
      blueprint. There are many paths to Truth,
      as long as a person develops discernment
      and intuition to find the right one. It is
      our mission at Richard Rose Teachings
      to provide you with a reference point – a
      place to start as well as a place to finish.
      The contributors to the newsletter and
      the website continue to help make that
      possible. To them we are deeply
      indebted.

      --Cecy Rose and Staff
      Richard Rose Teachings.com

      “I TELL PEOPLE TO LEAD A MORAL LIFE.
      I URGE THEM TO THINK ABOUT THEIR
      LIVES AND TO FIND THEIR OWN PATH TO
      CONTENTMENT. EVERYONE HAS A
      SEPARATE NATURE AND A SEPARATE
      PATH…TO TRUTH. BE HONEST WITH
      YOURSELF. GET TO KNOW YOURSELF,
      AND YOU WILL FIND THE RIGHT WAY TO
      LIVE.”
      –RICHARD ROSE, EXCERPT OF
      INTERVIEW FROM “ROCKY MOUNTAIN
      NEWS,” DENVER, COLORADO 1983

      A “PEARL” FROM THE ARCHIVES:

      THE JANE S. STORY

      These notes were provided from a
      written eye-witness account, circa 1972,
      recorded by a former student of Richard
      Rose. Initials have been used to protect
      the privacy of individuals mentioned
      since this article is published via the
      Internet.

      Jane S. went through an amazing
      transformation during the “experience.”
      Her face changed physically into a
      serious-looking, suffering person. What
      she was experiencing—her perspective,
      had totally transformed her into a new
      person. She said, “I want to love you,
      Chuck (her husband), but you’re not
      there or not real.” She began to weep,
      tremble and fall apart before my eyes. I
      was amazed, but I never doubted that it
      was real—no one could act this way. I
      was shocked to hear her husband say she
      was acting most of it out. I was
      convinced; I had studied books about
      illusion (maya), states of mind, but now
      I had witnessed a mind penetrating these
      concepts in a very real way.

      We were all not there, not real to Jane,
      and this made her, and me, very sad. She
      knelt on the floor crying for some time.
      But time was the farthest thing from my
      mind.

      I wasn’t sure of the mechanics of the
      experience, but I knew that Jane and
      Rose were linked in some way. His
      words seemed to either help her out of
      the despair or drive her to more tears,
      depending on the nature of his
      comments. He seemed to be along for
      the trip, but not able to control her every
      experience. After some time passed,
      Rose seemed to draw Jane out of the Pit
      by making favorable comments to her.
      When he would say, “you’re beautiful
      inside,” the crying would slow up or
      stop. Without favorable comments, she
      would seem to fall back into the Pit—
      explaining how hopeless and empty
      everything was. Her face changed
      dramatically again and she returned to
      the air-headed, energy-driven person I
      knew. It was Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde
      before my eyes. Rose later said he
      coaxed her out because he didn’t feel she
      could go any further. He turned his inner
      head away—shutting off the pictures she
      was picking up on. He told her if she
      wanted to finish it off, she should come
      back and stay for a definite time period.

      I believe Rose said to Jane, right before
      the experience, “you’re inside my head.”
      Jane said, “I know, I’ve been there all
      day.” Early in the day we were at Rose’s
      farm walking around, J. (my wife) and
      myself, Jane and Chuck, and Mr. Rose.
      Rose said he was able to get inside her
      head as we walked and talked. Also,
      before the experience, Rose was doing
      some hypnotic suggestions and he read
      the Three Books of the Absolute. I
      remembered how alive all the words
      were. I seemed to drift into a state where
      I was feeling or seemed to be

      experiencing some of what he was
      saying. “Oh tender I-ness, what have I
      done to thee.” He started to point at me
      as if he recognized my mental state. At
      that instant, Jane started to cry. All of the
      attention in the room, including mine,
      was shifted in her direction.

      I remember Rose had given Jane a posthypnotic
      suggestion, something about
      sugar. I believe he said when she heard
      the word sugar she would crave
      something sweet. I remember she left the
      room and when she came back from the
      kitchen, Rose said, “were you in the
      sugar bowl – were you eating something
      sweet?” and she started to laugh as if she
      was caught with her hand in the cookie
      jar. Then she started to cry. I believe
      that’s when he said, “You’re inside my
      head,” and she replied, “I’ve been there
      all day,” or something to that effect.

      After the experience, I thought Jane
      would become a totally spiritual person.
      I visited her a few days or weeks later
      and I was amazed. She was dressed in a
      black mini-skirt on her way to a bar
      maid’s job. Her make-up seemed
      excessive and she was in no mood to
      discuss a spiritual direction with me. She
      said what she saw was death and that she
      wanted to live. She didn’t want to get
      into it anymore. I remember being upset
      with her because I felt her experience
      was real and that it was important for her
      to work with others and continue to
      pursue her own final spiritual
      experience. Rose had said she had seen
      only one part of the picture. The