#2562 - Wednesday, August 23, 2006

  • markotter
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2006

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2562, Wednesday, August 23, 2006

      Love wants to reach out and manhandle us,
      Break all our teacup talk of God.

      If you had the courage and
      Could give the Beloved His choice, some nights,
      He would just drag you around the room
      By your hair,
      Ripping from your grip all those toys in the world
      That bring you no joy.

      Love sometimes gets tired of speaking sweetly
      And wants to rip to shreds
      All your erroneous notions of truth

      That make you fight within yourself, dear one,
      And with others,

      Causing the world to weep
      On too many fine days.

      He wants to manhandle us,
      Lock us inside of a tiny room with Himself
      And practice His dropkick.

      The Beloved sometimes wants
      To do us a great favor:

      Hold us upside down
      And shake all the nonsense out.

      But when we hear
      She is in such a "playful drunken mood"
      Most everyone I know
      Quickly packs their bags and hightails it
      Out of town.

      - Hafiz, from The Gift, translated by Ladinsky

      Hey darlin's! Let's not run! Let's unpack our bags and
      stick around. Let's take it on the chin! Look at
      betrayal, fear, uncaring right in the eye! Tear their
      phony masks off! They have no power over us but those
      flimsy supposed-to-be-scary masks! Rip them off! And
      then let's laugh and invite them to a cup of tea! or
      in dear Hafiz' honor, a glass of Love's wine! Let's
      play, yes! In making friends of all the emotions that
      threaten to turn our world upside down, joy becomes
      our Beloved! Really worth sticking around for. Emaho!
      ~dg

      - Hafiz poem and commentary posted to DailyDharma

      O you who have gone astray, why are you
      searching all over the world?
      He is not outside you. Why search for Him?

      - Rumi, tranlated by Muriel Maufroy, from Breathing Truth - Quotations from Jalaluddin Rumi, posted to AlongTheWay

      By our thoughts we have prepared for ourselves the
      happiness or unhappiness we experience.

      Bowl of Saki, by Hazrat Inayat Khan

      Commentary by Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan:

      Fighting with another makes war, but struggling with one's self brings peace.

      All our possessions, all that we collect in life, all these things which we shall have to leave one day are transitory; but that which we have created in our thought, in our mind, that lives. A person thinks, 'Some day I should like to build a factory.' At this time he has no money, no knowledge, no capability; but a thought came, 'Some day I should like to build a factory.' Then he thinks of something else. Perhaps years pass, but that thought has been working constantly through a thousand minds, and a thousand sources prepare for him that which he once desired. If we could look back to all we have thought of at different times, we would find that the line of fate or destiny, Kismet as it is called in the East, is formed by our thought. Thoughts have prepared for us that happiness or unhappiness which we experience. The whole of mysticism is founded on this.

      Joy, sorrow, love, all depend on our thought, on the activity of our mind. If we are depressed, if we are in despair, it is still the work of our mind; our mind has prepared that for us. If we are joyful and happy, and all things are pleasant, that also has been prepared for us by our mind. It is only when our mind works without control that unhappiness, sorrow, trouble, pain, or whatever we experience comes without our intention. No one could wish to create hell for himself; all would create heaven for themselves if they could; and yet how many allow their minds to create these things for them, regardless of their own intention.

      'The present is the reflection of the past, and the future is the re- echo of the present.' Destiny is not what is already made. Destiny is what we are making. Very often fatalists think that we are in the hands of destiny, driven in whatever direction in life destiny wills; but in point of fact we are the masters of our destiny, especially from the moment we begin to realize this fact. ... Man is responsible for his success and failure, for his rise and fall. And it is man who brings these about either knowingly or unknowingly.

      - posted to SufiMystic

      If you want to be free,
      Get to know your 'real' Self.

      It has no form, no appearance,