#2555 - Wednesday, August 16, 2006

  • markotter
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2006

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2555, Wednesday, August 16, 2006

      Since motivation precedes and drives actions, controlling it is the
      best way to prevent impulsive and possibly abusive physical and verbal
      actions. When you suddenly want something and just reach out and take
      it without considering the consequences, your desire is expressing
      itself impulsively, without benefit of reflection. In daily practice
      you learn to continually examine your motivation.

      - His Holiness, the Dalai Lama, from How to Practice, The Way to a Meaningful Life, posted to DailyDharma

      In the dead of night,
      a Sufi began to weep ...

      He said:
      "This world is like a closed coffin,
      in which we are shut,
      and in which, through our ignorance
      we spend our lives in folly and desolation.

      When Death comes
      to open the lid of the coffin ...

      Each one who has 'wings'
      will fly off to Eternity

      But those without ...
      will remain locked in the coffin

      So, my friends
      before the lid of this coffin is taken off ...

      Do all you can to become a bird
      of the Way to God

      Do all you can to develop your wings
      and your feathers.

      So long as we do not die to ourselves,
      and so long as we identify
      with someone or something ...

      we shall never be free

      The spiritual way
      is not for those
      wrapped up in exterior life."

      - Farid ud Din Attar, from Perfume of the Desert, translated by A. Harvey & E. Hanut, posted to Mystic_Spirit

      The soul which cannot endure fire and smoke
      won't find the Secret.

      - Rumi, translated by Muriel Maufroy, from Breathing Truth - Quotations from Jalaluddin Rumi, posted to AlongTheWay

      the voice of a saviour
      will shortly be heard
      as soon as you
      clear your hearing

      don't drink now
      this polluted water
      the elixir of life
      will soon arrive

      if you desire grace
      lose your selfish self
      till you can taste
      the sweet essence

      in the blackest
      of your moments
      wait with no fear

      since the water of life
      was found by the prophet
      in the darkest caverns

      - Rumi, Ode (Ghazal) 550, translated by Nader Khalili, from Rumi, Fountain of Fire, posted to Sunlight.

      Listen for the stream
      that tells you
      one thing ...

      Die on this bank
      Begin In me

      The way of rivers is
      Oneness ...
      with the 'Sea' ...

      . - Rumi,from Say I Am You, posted to Mystic_Spirit