#2550 - Friday, August 11, 2006 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2006
      #2550 - Friday, August 11, 2006 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive, Search Engine, and How to Contribute Your Writing :

      Photo: book cover
      Exlusive to the Highlights:
      For this issue I typed an excerpt from Six Memos for the Next Millenium, by Italo Calvino. Here is its page on Amazon.com: http://snipurl.com/utsa
      In my next issue of The Highlights I'm going to include more selections from this book.

      Selection from
      Six Memos for the Next Millenium
      by Italo Calvino
      As soon as the moon appears on poetry, it brings with it a sensation of lightness, suspension, a silent calm enchantment. When I began thinking about these lectures, I wanted to devote one whole talk to the moon, to trace its apparitions in the literatures of many times and places. Then I decided that the moon should be left entirely to Leopardi. For the miraculous thing about his poetry is that he simply takes the weight out of language, to the point that it resembles moonlight. The appearances of the moon in his poetry do not take up many lines, but they are enough to shed the light of the moon on the whole poem, or else to project upon it the shadow of its absence.
      Dolce e chiara è la notte e senza vento
      e querta sovra i tetti e in mezzo agli orti
      posa la luna, e di lontan rivela
      serena ogni montagna
      . . . . .
      O graziosa luna, io mi rammento
      che, or volge l'anno, sovra questo colle
      io venia pien d'angoscia a rimirarti:
      e tu pendevi allor su quella selva
      siccome fai, che tutta la rischiari.
      . . . . .
      O cara luna, al cui tranquillo raggio
      danzan le lepri nelle selve...
      . . . . .
      Già tutta l'aria imbruna,
      torna azzurro il sereno, e tornan l'ombre
      giù da' colli e da' tetti,
      al biancheggiar della recente luna.
      . . . . .
      Che fai tu, luna, in ciel? Dimmi, che fai,
      silenziosa luna?
      Sorgi la sera e vai,
      contemplando i deserti, indi ti posi.
      ~ ~ ~
      Soft and clear is the night and without wind, and quietly
      over the roofs and in the gardens rests the moon, and far
      away reveals every peaceful mountain.
      . . . . .
      O gentle, gracious moon, I remember now, it must be a
      year ago, on this same hill I came to see you; I was full of
      sorrow. And you were leaning then above that wood just as
      now, filling it all with brilliance.
      . . . . .
      O cherished moon, beneath whose quiet beams the hares dance in the woods...
      . . . . .
      Already all the air darkens, deepens to blue and shadows glide
      from roofs and hills at the whitening of the recent moon.
      . . . . .
      What do you do there, moon, in the sky? Tell me what you
      do, silent moon. When evening comes you rise and go con-
      templating wastelands; then you set.
      ~ ~ ~