#2541 - Monday, July 31 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 7:47 PM
      One Day -- David Whyte
      #2541 - Monday, July 31 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

                   I have not really known myself,
                  or anyone else.

                  I've tried to do good, and not
                  just what my appetities wanted,

                  but that was all infatuation
                  with this precious, isolated, body.

                  That you and I were constantly joining,
                  I didn't know.  I didn't know

                  that even to ask "What are You?"
                  or "Who am I" breaks the harmony.

                                       - Lalla
                                        14th Century North Indian mystic

      From "Naked Song"
      Versions by Coleman Barks

      posted to Along the Way

      In Mahayana Buddhism in particular great emphasis is laid on realizing the union of wisdom and compassionate action. Human fulfillment is seen to lie in the integration of the inner and outer dimensions of life, not in transcendent wisdom or world-saving compassion alone. As long as we remain delusively convinced of our egoic separation, then we remain cut off from the capacity to empathize fully with others. Such empathy is nothing other than the affective response to insight into the absence of egoic separation. For when the fiction of isolated selfhood is exposed, instead of a gaping mystical void we discover that our individual existence is rooted in relationship with the rest of life. For Thich Nhat Hanh, this is the realization of "interbeing"; for the Dalai Lama that of "universal responsibility": two ideas at the heart of contemporary Engaged Buddhism.

      -- Stephen Batchelor, The Awakening of the West

      The mind is not just 'oneness' or a singular entity because it manifests in manifold ways. It is not a plurality or many things, either, because these numerous manifestations all have one essence. No one can describe its nature saying, "It is exactly like this!" It is indescribable, unutterable, inconceivable, nonarising, unceasing, and nondwelling, like the essence of space. Mind nature is discovered within the experience of awareness and is cognized individually.

      -- Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche, "Union of Mahamudra and Dzogchen"
      From "365 Buddha: Daily Meditations," edited by Jeff Schmidt.

      The Second of the Fourteen Mindfulness Trainings:

      "Aware of suffering created by attachment to views and wrong
      perceptions, I am determined to avoid being narrow-minded and bound to
      present views.  I will learn and practice non-attachment from views in
      order to be open to others' insights and experiences.  I am aware that
      the knowledge I presently possess is not changeless, absolute truth.
      Truth is found in life and I will observe life within and around me in
      every moment, ready to learn throughout my life."
      ~~Plum Village

      From the website, http://www.plumvillage.org/index.htm

      posted to Daily Dharma

      One Day

      One day I will
      say
      the gift I once had has been taken.

      The place I have made for myself
      belongs to another.
      The words I have sung
      are being sung by the ones
      I would want.

      Then I will be ready
      for that voice
      and the still silence in which it arrives.

      And if my faith is good
      then we'll meet again
      on the road
      and we'll be thirsty,
      and stop
      and laugh
      and drink together again

      from the deep well of things as they are.

      ~ David Whyte ~

      ( Where Many Rivers Meet)

      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html