#2536 - Wednesday, July 26, 2006

  • markotter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2006

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2536, Wednesday, July 26, 2006

      Adhering to the Buddhist concept of non-attachment does not mean you have to abandon people you love. But you do need to approach your love differently, says AJAHN SUMEDHO, a highly revered monk based at Amaravati Forest Monastery.

      First, you must recognise what attachment is, and then you let go. That's when you realise non-attachment. However, if you're coming from the view that you shouldn't be attached, then that's still not it. The point is not to take a position against attachment, as if there were a commandment against it; the point is to observe.

      We ask the questions, What is attachment? and, does being attached to things bring happiness or suffering? Then we begin to have insight. We begin to see what attachment is, and then we can let go.

      If you're coming from a high-minded position in which you think you shouldn't be attached to anything, then you come up with ideas like: Well, I can't be a Buddhist because I love my wife, because I'm attached to my wife. I love her, and I just can't let her go. I can't send her away.

      Those kinds of thoughts come from the view that you shouldn't be attached.

      The recognition of attachment doesn't mean that you must get rid of your wife. It means that you free yourself from wrong views about yourself and your wife. Then you find that there is love there, but that it's not attached; it's not distorting, clinging or grasping.

      The empty mind is quite capable of caring about others and loving, in the pure sense of love. But any attachment will always distort that.

      - Ajahn Sumedho, posted to DailyDharma

      To look at everything, trying to see what is behind
      it, to see it in its right light, requires divine illumination,
      a spiritual outlook on life. And this outlook is attained
      by the increase of compassion. The more compassion
      one has in one's heart, the more the world will begin to
      look different.

      -Hazrat Inayat Khan, Mastery Through Accomplishment, posted to AlongTheWay

      Man, what thou are is hidden from thyself ...

      Know'st not that morning, midday, and the eve
      Are all within Thee?

      The ninth heaven art Thou ...
      And from the spheres into the roar of time
      Didst 'come' ere-while.

      Thou art the brush that painted
      The hues of all the world - the light of life
      That ranged its glory in the nothingness.

      Joy! Joy! I triumph now; no more I know
      Myself as simply me. I burn with love.

      The centre is within me, and its wonder
      Lies as a circle everywhere about me.

      Joy! Joy! No mortal thought can fathom me.
      I am the merchant and the pearl at once.

      Lo! Time and space lie crouching at my feet.
      Joy! Joy! When I would revel in a rapture.

      I plunge into myself,
      ... and all things know...

      - Sufi-Faridu 'd-din Shakrgunj (A.H. 662), posted to Mystic_Spirit

      The way of love is not a subtle argument.
      The door there is devastation.

      Birds make great sky-circles of their freedom.
      How do they learn it?

      They fall,
      and falling ...

      They're given ... wings ...