#2527 - Sunday, July 16, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2006

      #2527 - Sunday, July 16, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      "A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."
      – Jean de la Fontaine

      "wake and walk out"
      (rumi/barks)

      If I flinched at every grief, I
      would be an intelligent idiot. If

      I were not the sun, I'd ebb and
      flow like sadness. If you were not

      my guide, I'd wander lost in Sinai.
      If there were no light, I'd keep

      opening and closing the door. If
      there were no rose garden, where

      would the morning breezes go? If
      love did not want music and laughter

      and poetry, what would I say? If
      you were not medicine, I would look

      sick and skinny. If there were no
      leafy limbs in the air, there would

      be no wet roots. If no gifts were
      given, I'd grow arrogant and cruel.

      If there were no way into God. I
      would not have lain in the grave of

      this body for so long. If there were no
      way from left to right, I could not

      be swaying with the grasses. If
      there were no grace and no kindness,

      conversation would be useless, and
      nothing we do would matter. Listen

      to the new stories that begin every
      day. If light were not beginning

      again in the east, I would not now
      wake and walk out inside this dawn.

      (from "The Soul of Rumi" trans Coleman Barks)

      Terry Murphy on Allspirit

      Nippon Lily 04
      by Bob O'Hearn on Garden Mystics

      Practicing Buddhism is about discovering ourselves to be in a great, flowing river of continuities. Just as our mother and father live inside us, so do generations upon generations of mothers and fathers before them. Part of our task is to discover how all our ancestors inform our lives--and the same holds true for all forms of life, for we have been shaped not only by human ancestors but also by the environments in which they lived.

      -- Joan Halifax, in Tricycle: The Buddhist Review, Vol. I, #4

      The Buddha described his teaching as "going against the stream." The unflinching light of mindful awareness reveals the extent to which we are tossed along in the stream of past conditioning and habit. The moment we decide to stop and look at what is going on (like a swimmer suddenly changing course to swim upstream instead of downstream), we find ourselves battered by powerful currents we had never even suspected--precisely because until that moment we were largely living at their command.

      -- Stephen Batchelor in The Awakening of the West

      "No better love than love with no object,
      No more satisfying work than work with no purpose.
      If you could give up tricks and cleverness,
      That would be the cleverest trick!"

      ~Rumi

      From the book, "Rumi Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy
      and Longing," translated by Barks