#2523 - Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11 1:14 PM

      #2523 - Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      To quote Ivan Granger, the original sender:
      I know today's selection by the Indian Buddhist saint Tilopa is a long one, but it's beauty and power are worth contemplating deeply. The lines have a radiance that transcend the words.

      Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

      Song of the Mahamudra (Tilopa's Song to Naropa)

      By Tilopa
      (988 - 1069)

      English version by Lex Hixon

      Mahamudra, the royal way, is free
      from every word and sacred symbol.
      For you alone, beloved Naropa,
      this wonderful song springs forth from Tilopa
      as spontaneous friendship that never ends.
      The completely open nature
      of all dimensions and events
      is a rainbow always occurring
      yet never grasped.
      The way of Mahamudra
      creates no closure.
      No strenuous mental effort
      can encounter this wide open way.
      The effortless freedom of awareness
      moves naturally along it.
      As space is always freshly appearing
      and never filled,
      so the mind is without limits
      and ever aware.
      Gazing with sheer awareness
      into sheer awareness,
      habitual, abstract structures melt
      into the fruitful springtime of Buddhahood.
      White clouds that drift through blue sky,
      changing shape constantly,
      have no root, no foundation, no dwelling;
      nor do changing patterns of thought
      that float through the sky of mind.
      When the formless expanse of awareness
      comes clearly into view,
      obsession with thought forms
      ceases easily and naturally.
      As within the openness of universal space
      shapes and colors are spontaneously forming,
      although space has no color or form,
      so within the expanse of awareness
      realms, relations and values are arising,
      although awareness possesses
      no positive or negative characteristics.
      As the darkness of night,
      even were it to last a thousand years,
      could not conceal the rising sun,
      so countless ages of conflict and suffering
      cannot conceal the innate radiance of Mind.
      Although philosophers explain
      the transparent openness of appearances
      as empty of permanent characteristics
      and completely indeterminable,
      this universal indeterminacy
      can itself never be determined.
      Although sages report
      the nature of awareness to be luminosity,
      this limitless radiance cannot be contained
      within any language or sacramental system.
      Although the very essence of Mind
      is to be void of either subjects or objects,
      it tenderly embraces all life within its womb.
      To realize this inexpressible truth,
      do not manipulate mind or body
      but simply open into transparency
      with relaxed, natural grace
      intellect at ease in silence,
      limbs at rest in stillness
      like hollow bamboos.
      Neither breathing in nor breathing out
      with the breath of habitual thinking,
      allow the mind to be at peace
      in brilliant wakefulness.
      This is the royal wealth of Mahamudra,
      no common coin of any realm.
      Beloved Naropa, this treasure of Buddhahood
      belongs to you and to all beings.
      Obsessive use of meditative disciplines
      or perennial study of scripture and philosophy
      will never bring forth this wonderful realization,
      this truth which is natural to awareness,
      because the mind that desperately desires
      to reach another realm or level of experience
      inadvertently ignores the basic light
      that constitutes all experience.
      The one who fabricates
      any division in consciousness
      betrays the friendship of Mahamudra.
      Cease all activity that separates,
      abandon even the desire to be free from desires
      and allow the thinking process to rise and fall
      smoothly as waves on a shoreless ocean.
      The one who never dwells in abstraction
      and whose only principle
      is never to divide or separate
      upholds the trust of Mahamudra.
      The one who abandons craving
      for authority and definition,
      and never becomes one-sided
      in argument or understanding,
      alone perceives the authentic meaning
      hidden in the ancient scriptures.
      In the blissful embrace of Mahamudra,
      negative viewpoints and their instincts
      are burned without remainder, like camphor.
      Through the open door of Mahamudra,
      the deluded state of self-imprisonment
      is easily left behind forever.
      Mahamudra is the torch of supreme liberty
      shining forth through all conscious beings.
      Those beings constituted by awareness
      who try to ignore, reject or grasp awareness
      inflict sorrow and confusion upon themselves
      like those who are insane.
      To be awakened from this madness,
      cultivate the gracious friendship
      of a sublime sage of Mahamudra,
      who may appear to the world as mad.
      When the limited mind
      enters blessed companionship
      with limitless Mind,
      indescribable freedom dawns.
      Selfish or limited motivations
      create the illusory sense of imprisonment
      and scatter seeds of further delusion.
      Even genuine religious teaching
      can generate narrowness of vision.
      Trust only the approach
      that is utterly vast and profound.
      The noble way of Mahamudra
      never engages in the drama of
      imprisonment and release.
      The sage of Mahamudra
      has absolutely no distractions,
      because no war against distractions has ever been declared.
      This nobility and gentleness alone,
      this nonviolence of thought and action ,
      is the traceless path of all Buddhas.
      To walk this all-embracing way
      is the bliss of Buddhahood.
      Phenomena on every plane of being
      are constantly arising and disappearing.
      Thus they are forever fresh,
      always new and inexhaustible.
      Like dreams without solid substance,
      they can never become rigid or binding.
      The universe exists in a deep, elusive way
      that can never be grasped or frozen.
      Why feel obsessive desire or hatred for it,
      thereby creating illusory bonds?
      Renounce arbitrary, habitual views.
      Go forth courageously to meditate
      in the real mountain wilderness,
      the wide open Mahamudra.
      Transcend boundaries of kinship
      by embracing all living beings
      as one family of consciousness.
      Remain without any compulsion
      in the landscape of natural freedom:
      spontaneous, generous, joyful.
      When you receive the crown of Mahamudra,
      all sense of rank or attainment
      will quietly disappear.
      Cut the root of the vine that chokes the tree,
      and its clinging tendrils wither away entirely.
      Sever the conventionally grasping mind,
      and all bondage and desperation dissolve.

      The illumination from an oil lamp
      lights the room instantly,
      even if it has been dark for aeons.
      Mind is boundless radiance.
      How can the slightest darkness
      remain in the room of daily perception?
      But one who clings to mental processes
      cannot awaken to the radiance of Mind.
      Strenuously seeking truth
      by investigation and concentration,
      one will never appreciate
      the unthinkable simplicity and bliss
      that abide at the core.
      To uncover this fertile ground,
      cut through the roots of complexity
      with the sharp gaze of naked awareness,
      remaining entirely at peace,
      transparent and content.
      You need not expend great effort
      nor store up extensive spirtual power.
      Remain in the flow of sheer awareness.
      Mahamudra neither accepts nor rejects
      any current of energy, internal or external.
      Since the ground consciousness
      is never born into any realm of being,
      nothing can add to or subtract from it.
      Nothing can obstruct or stain it.
      When awareness rests here,
      the appearance of division and conflict
      disappears into original reality.
      The twin emotions of anxiety and arrogance
      vanish into the void from which they came.
      Supreme knowing knows
      no separate subject or object.
      Supreme action acts resourcefully
      without any array of instruments.
      Supreme attainment attains the goal
      without past, future or present.
      The dedicated practitioner
      experiences the spiritual way
      as a turbulent mountain stream,
      tumbling dangerously among boulders.
      When maturity is reached,
      the river flows smoothly and patiently
      with the powerful sweep of the Ganges.
      Emptying into the ocean of Mahamudra,
      the water becomes ever-expanding light
      that pours into great Clear Light
      without direction, destination,
      division, distinction or description.

      -- from Mother of the Buddhas, by Lex Hixon

      ============

      Thought for the Day:

      Brick by brick
      break down the walls
      that divide you
      from the open Mystery.

      ============

      Here's your Daily Music selection --

      Manish Vyas & Dina Awwad

      Sufi Splendor

      Listen - Purchase

      More Music Selections

      I know today's selection by the Indian Buddhist saint Tilopa is a long one, but it's beauty and power are worth contemplating deeply. The lines have a radiance that transcend the words.

      I hope you enjoy it!

      Ivan

      Recent Poetry Chaikhana Forum Topics

      Pondering Death
      consuming kisses
      she breaks you down

      Poetry Chaikhana Home

      New
      | Music | Teahouse | About | Contact | Links
      Poets by: Name| Tradition | Century | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | Commentary

      Forum
      | Poetry Chaikhana Radio | Catalog

      www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

      Please support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

      If you wish to further support the work of the Poetry Chaikhana, donations are always welcome in any amount. Just click the button to the right.

      Again, thank you!

      Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are Copyright © 2002 - 2006 by Ivan M. Granger.
      All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

      Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead.

      Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".