#2522 - Monday, July 10, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2006
      Instructions to Painters & Poets (excerpt) -- Lawrence Ferlinghetti

      #2522 - Monday, July 10, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      I have on my office door these words from an accomplished Indian yogi:
      "Before speaking, consider whether it is an improvement upon silence."
      — Philip Simmons in Learning to Fall

      Messenger

      My work is loving the world.
      Here the sunflowers, there the hummingbird —
      equal seekers of sweetness.
      Here the quickening yeast; there the blue plums.
      Here the clam deep in the speckled sand.

      Are my boots old? Is my coat torn?
      Am I no longer young, and still not half-perfect? Let me
      keep my mind on what matters,
      which is my work,

      which is mostly standing still and learning to be
      astonished.
      The phoebe, the delphinium.
      The sheep in the pasture, and the pasture.
      Which is mostly rejoicing, since all ingredients are here,

      which is gratitude, to be given a mind and a heart
      and these body-clothes,
      a mouth with which to give shouts of joy
      to the moth and the wren, to the sleepy dug-up clam,
      telling them all, over and over, how it is
      that we live forever.

      Mary Oliver

      Knowledge born of the finest discrimination takes us to the farthest shore.
      It is intuitive, omniscient, and beyond all divisions of time and space.

      -The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, 3:54

      From "The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali," translated by Alistair Shearer.

      how to get there

      it has to do with calculus
      with breaking free
      of the need to see that one last step
      the one that is
      infinitely small
      as having to be measured and divided
      in its turn

      it is zeno's paradox
      we have puzzled it
      for 2500 years
      circling the point
      at times infinitely close

      reaching for reunion with the whole
      while always
      steps beyond counting away
      as far as when we began

      held at bay
      by this mind-made trick
      that makes us stop to carve
      one last small digital divide
      between

      us

      and the welcome
      waiting
      on the other side

      by Hannah

      a reader's contribution

      Rumi - Turning Ecstatic

      Directed by Tina Petrova, Steven Roloff
      Visionary Media Inc. 12/05 DVD/VHS Special Interest Film
      Not Rated

      After praying for relief from the lingering pain of a terrible accident, Tina Petrova, a Canadian actress and filmmaker, had a dream in which the 13th century mystical poet, Jelaluddin Rumi, asked her to organize a festival in Toronto to showcase his work. The event was a success, thanks largely to the participation of Coleman Barks, whose translations have contributed to Rumi being the most popular poet in America for the last decade. By then, Petrova had embarked on a spiritual journey to find out more about Rumi's extraordinary impact upon the world. This one-hour film, which originally aired on Vision TV in Canada, chronicles her quest. She talks with Kabir Helminski, representative in the West of Rumi's Sufi order, about Rumi's life, teachings, and contemporary influence. Andrew Harvey, a mystic who admits to being profoundly affected by Rumi, calls him the oxygen the world now needs. Nader Khalili, an architect and founder of Calearth Institute of Earth Architecture, talks about Rumi's understanding of the universe. Two focuses of the film especially appealed to us. Over scenes of Turkish and American whirling dervishes, Helminski explains the meaning of the ceremony. It is a practice that requires you to become empty so that you can be balanced, centered, and fully aware of the Divine Presence. Another theme of the film and in Rumi's writings is religious openness. Like all the great saints, he was a great lover of unity.

      See a preview on website and for information about screenings and how to host one yourself.

      In celebration of the 800th anniversary of the legacy of Sufi Mystic , Poet and Scholar Mevlana Jelalludin Rumi- UNESCO has named 2007 International Year of Rumi.

      Instructions to Painters & Poets

      I asked a hundred painters and a hundred poets
      how to paint sunlight
      on the face of life
      Their answers were ambiguous and ingenuous
      as if they were all guarding trade secrets
      Whereas it seems to me
      all you have to do
      is conceive of the whole world
      and all humanity
      as a kind of art work
      a site-specific art work
      an art project of the god of light
      the whole earth and all that's in it
      to be painted with light

      And the first thing you have to do
      is paint out postmodern painting
      And the next thing is to paint yourself
      in your true colors
      in primary colors
      as you seem them
      (without whitewash)
      paint yourself as you see yourself
      without make-up
      without masks
      Then paint your favorite people and animals
      with your brush loaded with light
      And be sure you get the perspective right
      and don't fake it
      because one false line leads to another

      ***

      And don't forget to paint
      all those who lived their lives
      as bearers of light
      Paint their eyes
      and the eyes of every animal
      and the eyes of beautiful women
      known best for the perfection of their breasts
      and the eyes of men and women
      known only for the light of their minds
      Paint the light of their eyes
      the light of sunlit laughter
      the song of eyes
      the song of birds in flight

      And remember that the light is within
      if it is anywhere
      and you must paint from the inside

      ~ Lawrence Ferlinghetti ~

      (How to Paint Sunlight)

      (Today's photo was contributed by a group member;
      unfortunately, I've lost track of the name of the person to credit
      but I'm grateful and sorry I lost the name.)

      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html