#2521 - Sunday, July 9, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9 2:59 PM
      #2521 - Sunday, July 9, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      Invocation of Peace

      Peace be to earth and to airy spaces!
      Peace be to heaven, peace be to the waters,
      peace to the plants and peace to the trees!
      May all the Gods grant to me peace!
      By this invocation of peace may it be diffused!

      -Atharva Veda

      From "Teachings of the Hindu Mystics," © 2001 by Andrew Harvey

      You shall go out with joy and be led forth in peace.
      The mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing,
      and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

      Isaiah 55:12

      "When you are the mirror, then you have no problems with reflections--
      they can be big, small, nice, ugly, any kind.

      For you, the reflections are only a manifestation of your quality,
      which is like that of a mirror.

      When you have no problems with reflections, then you understand self-
      liberation you are not changing or transforming something.
      You are only being in your real nature."

                         ~ Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

      From the book, "Dzogchen Teachings", edited by Jim Valby and Adriano
      Clemente, published by Snow Lion Publications.

      "When we have gained the elimination of all the negative qualities and
      gained all the positive qualities of realization, it is the unchanged
      nature of our own mind, exactly as it is, which is Buddhahood.

      While we do not realize this, we are under the power of the
      defilements and wander in samsara.

      When we realize the true nature of the mind, there is the conviction
      that the mind is Buddhahood."

                      ~ Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche

      From the website
      http://www.simhas.org/teaching6.html

      posted to Daily Dharma

      Imagine a very poor man living in a decrepit little shanty, the only thing he owns in the world. What he does not know is that just beneath his shanty, but hidden in the dirt, is an inexhaustible vein of gold. As long as he remains ignorant of his hidden wealth, this pauper remains in poverty; but when he attends more closely to his own dwelling, he is bound to discover his own fathomless wealth. Similarly, all we need to do is unveil our own nature, and we will find an inexhaustible source of wisdom, compassion, and power. It is nothing we need to acquire from anywhere or anything. It has always been there.

      Seen in this light, the Buddha-nature requires no additions. One does not have to memorize sutras, recite prayers, or accumulate virtues to create it. All one needs to do is unveil it.

      -- B. Alan Wallace

      The first noble truth says simply that it's part of being human to feel discomfort. We don't even have to call it suffering anymore; we don't even have to call it discomfort. It's simply coming to know the fieriness of fire, the wildness of wind, the turbulence of water, the upheaval of earth, as well as the warmth of fire, the coolness and smoothness of water, the gentleness of the breezes, and the goodness, solidness, and dependability of the earth. Nothing in its essence is one way or the other. The four elements take on different qualities; they're like magicians. Sometimes they manifest in one form and sometimes in another. . . .The first noble truth recognizes that we also change like the weather, we ebb and flow like the tides, we wax and wane like the moon.

      -- Pema Chodron in Awakening Loving-Kindness
      from Everyday Mind, edited by Jean Smith, a Tricycle book

      Summer Kitchen

      In June's high light she stood at the sink
          With a glass of wine,
      And listened for the bobolink,
      And crushed garlic in late sunshine.

      I watched her cooking, from my chair.
          She pressed her lips
      Together, reached for kitchenware,
      And tasted sauce from her fingertips.

      "It's ready now. Come on," she said.
          "You light the candle."
      We ate, and talked, and went to bed,
      And slept. It was a miracle.

      Listen (RealAudio) | How to listen

      Poem: "Summer Kitchen" by Donald Hall from The Painted Bed. © Hughton Mifflin Company.

      You Reading This, Be Ready

      Starting here, what do you want to remember?
      How sunlight creeps along a shining floor?
      What scent of old wood hovers, what softened
      sound from outside fills the air?

      Will you ever bring a better gift for the world
      than the breathing respect that you carry
      wherever you go right now? Are you waiting
      for time to show you some better thoughts?

      When you turn around, starting here, lift this
      new glimpse that you found; carry into evening
      all that you want from this day. This interval you spent
      reading or hearing this, keep it for life -

      What can anyone give you greater than now,
      starting here, right in this room, when you turn around?

      ~ William Stafford ~

      (The Way It Is)

      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html