#2509 - Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2006
      #2509 - Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive, Search Engine, and How to Contribute Your Writing :
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      This issue is about surfing the ocean and the chruinne, the universe. Featured are a movie review of Riding Giants and an Irish poem by Gabriel Rosenstock with English version.

      "These people are centered on living their lives to the fullest, finding out what they are made of, in the face of God's true expression of power, not making money. They know what it's like to be fully present in connection with God, because, that is clearly what it takes to ride those waves. I really respect that."

      The above is an excerpt from a movie review which touches on the nondual side of surfing. The lines -- "not making money" ... "I really respect that." -- are totally Sixties and pleasantly nostalgic. I gotta use those lines when I hold satsang at Arunachala: "Sri Ramana emanated a silent power that stilled attuned minds. I really respect that. And he wasn't into making money."

      Click on the Blue Crush link http://www.blue-crush.com/, click on Enter Site, and turn up the volume to hear the sound of breaking waves while you read this Highights. I really respect that the Blue Crush website is doing that and not making money off it.

      Now get outa here with that tussle of sun bleached hair you crackin' thing and read today's Nondual Highlights.

      --Jerry

      DVD Movie Review: Riding Giants

      Monday, June 26 2006 @ 04:52 AM PDT

      Contributed by: Cheryl Erber

      I thought this would be a drama, like Blue Crush, the fabulous modern day Gidget. But this is a documentary, highlighting one of the longest running subcultures, if not countercultures, ever. Whereas the Beats were prompted by writers Ginsberg and Kerouac, who, in many ways defined the ethos, and the hippie movement seemed to also flow out from the art community with writers like Kesey and Tom Wolfe to heighten and define it, the surfer lifestyle long predated the art form, and these other subcultures. There was a cohesive, sun, fun-loving culture around southern California's waves about as soon as the boys came home from the war.

      Now when you've got sunshine and skimpy clothes and tans and waves and fun-loving kids, right near Hoolywood... well, it didn't take long for someone to capitalize on that. Gidget was a huge hit that propelled the surfing scene from a few thousand to a few million in 1959. It spawned a long spate of Beach Blanket, Frankie Avalon/Annette Funicello hits. The heyday was '65-'69 when the Beach Boys promoted and provided the soundtrack for the scene, like the Dead did for the hippies.

      It's very much a subculture in the sense that it is a lifestyle, people can be fully immersed in it as a way of life. But, it has a self-limiting feature in a way. Surfers are not looking to build anything, they're not trying to change the world like the Beats, hippies, communes, cults, religious communities and almost any other type of subculture you could name... they just want to catch a wave. They're not driven by ideals, or even ideas, other than to enjoy life in a way most of us dare not.

      And actually, at this point, surfing has become a somewhat codified sport with it's players and hierarchies. Last time I was in Laguna I had a long talk with someone about the surfing scene which can be less than pretty because there are lots of surfers, and a limited amount of waves. They are not seeking to expand their ranks.

      Now, talk about your testosterone, these guys are pretty far out there, especially the big wave riders, which is the subject of this film. I grew up a few blocks from the ocean and went there all the time, especially in HS, and even though I'm pretty adventurous and have great balance... it's a bit much for me. I've been churned in the ocean enough times to fear it. These guys are wailing down 80' mountains, often almost vertical cliffs, that are, essentially, chasing them. The strength of mind and body required to do it is greater than any endeavor I can think of.

      But, that's the rush they look for. The risk, not to mention skill, is huge, but so is the payoff, the thrill of a lifetime. It's a bit like The Right Stuff, shedding some light on the mindset of people who are willing to live life on the edge. They are willing to face their fears and the awesome, uncontrollable ocean every day. These people are centered on living their lives to the fullest, finding out what they are made of, in the face of God's true expression of power, not making money. They know what it's like to be fully present in connection with God, because, that is clearly what it takes to ride those waves. I really respect that.

      There is a real brotherhood, I only saw one female surfer in this whole film (and I guess women don't have "the right stuff" either). The attitude these guys have toward each other is different from the mountain climbers who do not feel particularly compelled to rescue each other, it's sort of every man for himself. But, with the advent of towing into waves, the surfers all take extreme risks to pull their buddies out of gnarly sets of successive breaking waves. When they lost one of their own, they all lined up their boards in memorial. So, check out this fantastic indie film, which was bought by Sony at Sundance. It's chock full of fascinating info on a little explored sport/lifestyle which has had a big influence on the American psyche.

      GABRIEL ROSENSTOCK

      Scaipeann Krishnamurphy Croí na nUpaniseaid

      Cén fáth a mbíonn sceitimíní ort

      An t-am go léir?

      Sé mo nádúrsa é, arsa K.,

      Agus nádúr na cruinne.

      Cá bhfios duit?

      Cá bhfios duit nach fearg is fuath

      Is cumaliomachas is bun leis go léir?

      Féach orm.

      An bhfeiceann tusa fearg, fuath,

      Cumaliomachas?

      Ach ni tusa an chruinne

      Is mó ná an chruinne mé.

      Is dia thú?

      Breith do bhéil féin ort.

      Is déithe sinn go léir?

      Sea, ach níl ach dia amháin ann.

      Krishnamurphy on the Heart of the Upanishads

      Why are you bursting

      With joy all the time?

      It’s my nature, says K.,

      And the nature of the universe.