#2507 - Sunday, June 25, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2006
      #2507 - Sunday, June 25, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      "It would never occur to most of us that 'plants' say anything at all, except in terms of what we read into them, or try to use them for. Yet in their responses to this wonderfully rhythmic and varying earth they are the most expressive of all forms of life."
      — John Hay in
      A Beginner's Faith in Things Unseen

      ---------------

      "The garden reconciles human art and wild nature, hard work and deep pleasure, spiritual practice and the material world. It is a magical place because it is not divided."
      —Thomas Moore in
      The Re-enchantment of Everyday Life

      from  Gardening as a Spiritual Practice: http://www.spiritualityandpractice.com/blogs/maps.php?id=15669
      which also reviews several books on this theme, such as:

       The Japanese Way of the Flower: Ikebana as Moving Meditation
      H. E. Davey and Ann Kameoka present a sturdy and illuminating examination of kado, the Japanese art of flower arrangement. This art contains meditation exercises and aims for harmony, asymmetrical balance, artlessness, impermanence, and oneness with the universe.

      Mazie Lane and Bob O'Hearn have a new list!

      "If you're passionate about gardening
      and want to share your enthusiasm for it,
      this is the group for you. This is a journey
      into the love of the garden, and the love we
      have for this wonderful blossoming that is our Life."

      Welcome to the world of the garden mystic!

      If of thy mortal goods thou art bereft,
      And of thy meager store
      Two loaves alone to thee are left,
      Sell one, and with the dole
      Buy hyacinths to feed thy soul.

      ~  Sheikh Muslih-uddin Saadi Shirazi, The Gulistan of Saadi,   1270

      Mazie and Bob moved to (where else?) Paradise, and while Mazie is busy
      turning their own yard into a gardener's paradise of roses and flowers, Bob
      is also documenting this transformation with artistic photography.
      To access the main photo site, go to:

      There are 5 main sub-albums there: Close-ups (which is where most of the floral shots are),  Only Dreaming (surreal and creative photoshop-type stuff), Artists (work of others which I play with, sometimes adding text), and then Cascades (from our sojourn in Humboldt County), and Paradise.

      This grand show is eternal.  It is always sunrise somewhere;
      the dew is never all dried at once; a shower is forever falling;
      vapor is ever rising.  Eternal sunrise, eternal sunset, eternal
      dawn and glowing, on sea and continents and islands, each
      in its turn, as the round earth rolls.

      ~  John Muir

      "Strawberries are too delicate to be picked by machine. The perfectly ripe ones bruise even at too heavy a human touch. Every strawberry you have ever eaten has been picked by callused human hands. Every piece of toast with jelly represents someone's knees, someone's aching backs and hips, someone with a bandanna on her wrist to wipe away the sweat."

      —Alison Luterman, quoted in After the Ecstasy, the Laundry, by Jack Kornfield

      To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves.

      —Gandhi

      Because half of the world's vanilla crop is grown in Madagascar, the whole island smells like vanilla ice cream.

      One of the most important resources that a garden makes available for use, is the gardener's own body. A garden gives the body the dignity of working in its own support. It is a way of rejoining the human race.

      —Wendell Berry

      "Only nature can be truly random and beautiful"

      —Scorpittarius

      …with the bees humming dreamily about among the bloom, and the larks singing high up overhead, and the blue sky and bright sun shining steadily and cloudlessly.

      —Emily Brontë

      from AlphaWorld

      The Source

      God has never really spoken,
      though a thought once crossed His mind.
      It is the echo of divine
      silence

      we hear the birds sing, and that
      is the source of all
      we see and
      touch.

      May our heart's garden of awakening bloom with hundreds of flowers.

      Thich Nhat Hahn