#2506 - Saturday, June 24, 2006

  • Mark Otter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2006

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2506, a belated Saturday, June 24, 2006

      Promise me,
      promise me this day,
      promise me now,
      while the sun is overhead
      exactly at the zenith,
      promise me:

      Even as they
      strike you down
      with a mountain of hatred & violence;
      even as they step on you & crush you
      like a worm,
      even as they dismember & disembowel you,
      remember, brother,
      remember:
      man is not our enemy.

      The only thing worthy of you is compassion
      invincible, limitless, unconditional.
      Hatred will never let you face
      the beast in man.

      One day, when you face this beast alone,
      with your courage intact, your eyes kind,
      untroubled
      (even as no one sees them),
      out of your smile
      will bloom a flower.

      And those who love you
      will behold you
      across ten thousand worlds of birth & dying.

      Alone again,
      I will go on with bent head,
      knowing that love has become eternal.
      on the long, rough road,
      the sun & the moon
      will continue to shine.

      - Thich Nhat Hanh, posted to DailyDharma

      The most precious gift we can offer others is our presence. When mindfulness embraces those we love, they will bloom like flowers.

      - Thich Nhat Hanh

      Green Canoe

      I don't often get the chance any longer
      to go out alone in the green canoe
      and, lying in the bottom of the boat,
      just drift where the breeze takes me,
      down to the other end of the lake
      or into some cove without my knowing
      because I can't see anything over
      the gunwales but sky as I lie there,
      feeling the ribs of the boat as my own,
      this floating pod with a body inside it...

      also a mind, that drifts among clouds
      and the sounds that carry over water —
      a flutter of birdsong, a screen door
      slamming shut-as well as the usual stuff
      that clutters it, but slowed down, opened up,
      like the fluff of milkweed tugged
      from its husk and floating over the lake,
      to be mistaken for mayflies at dusk
      by feeding trout, or be carried away
      to a place where the seeds might sprout.

      - Jeffrey Harrison, from Feeding the Fire.

      Whether you are going or staying
      or sitting or lying down

      The whole world is your 'own self'
      You must find out ...