#2501 - Sunday, June 18, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2006
      Shifting the Sun -- Diana Der-Hovanessian

      #2501 - Sunday, June 18, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      Shifting the Sun

      When your father dies, say the Irish,
      you lose your umbrella against bad weather.
      May his sun be your light, say the Armenians

      When your father dies, say the Welsh,
      you sink a foot deeper into the earth.
      May you inherit his light, say the Armenians.

      When your father dies, say the Canadians,
      you run out of excuses.
      May you inherit his sun, say the Armenians.

      When your father dies, say the French,
      you become your own father.
      May you stand up in his light, say the Armenians.

      When you father dies, say the Indians,
      he comes back as the thunder.
      May you inherit his light, say the Armenians.

      When your father dies, say the Russians,
      he takes your childhood with him.
      May you inherit his light, say the Armenians.

      When your father dies, say the English,
      you join his club you vowed you wouldn't.
      May you inherit his sun, say the Armenians.

      When your father dies, say the Armenians,
      your sun shifts forever.
      And you walk in his light.

      ~ Diana Der-Hovanessian ~

      (Selected Poems

      FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO SET OPTIMUM EMAIL FORMAT FOLLOWING YAHOO CHANGES, CLICK HERE

      When you take photographs, just before you click the shutter, your
      mind is empty and open, just seeing without words. When you stand in
      front of a blank sheet of paper, about to make a painting or a
      calligraphy, you have no idea what you will do. Maybe you have some
      plan for a painting, or you know what symbol you want to calligraph,
      but you don't actually know what will appear when you put brush to
      paper. What you do out of trust in open mind will be fresh and
      spontaneous. Opening to first thought is the way to begin any action
      properly.

      --Jeremy Hayward, from Tricycle: The Buddhist Review, Vol. IV, #3

      photo by Robert O'Hearn

      The experience of the practice itself teaches us that any conception
      or ideal of awakened being can only be a hindrance- neither practice
      nor awakening is about our ideas or images.

      And yet, however limited the finger-pointing at the moon, still we
      point, we turn to one another for direction. So I have come to think
      that if the bodhisattva's task is to continue to practice until every
      pebble, every blade of grass, awakens, surely the passions, difficult
      or blissful, can also be included in that vow.

      And if awakening is also already present, inescapably and
      everywhere present from the beginning, how can the emotions not
      be part of that singing life of grasses and fish and oil tankers and
      subways and cats in heat who wake us, furious and smiling, in the
      middle of the brief summer night?

      --Jane Hirshfield

      Feelings, whether of compassion or irritation, should be welcomed,
      recognized, and treated on an absolutely equal basis; because both
      are ourselves. The tangerine I am eating is me. The mustard greens
      I am planting are me. I plant with all my heart and mind. I clean this
      teapot with the kind of attention I would have were I giving the baby
      Buddha or Jesus a bath. Nothing should be treated more carefully
      than anything else. In mindfulness, compassion, irritation, mustard
      green plant, and teapot are all sacred.

      --Thich Nhat Hanh, "Miracle of Mindfulness"

      Two Bonus Tracks for Father's Day:

      The first is a lovely and touching poem by Li-Young Lee with music
      by Bruce BecVar ("New Earth, New Heaven," from his album, The
      Nature of Things). If you're interested:

      The second is on the lighter side, from one father to other fathers,
      a song by John Hiatt, and it's a guy thing.... If your interested:

       by Joe Riley to Panhala