#2497 - Monday, June 12, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2006
      #2497 - Monday, June 12, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      It would be so great to hear from anyone who may have watched  the
      film on Farmer John. It is on most PBS stations, here it is on at 1:00 am.
      Check local listings for Independent Lens. Also you can put it on your
      Netflix queue for when it will be released. Support your  local
      Farmers Market, it is good for you and the environment. Or  grow
      your own!

      It's very difficult for me to dislike an artist. No matter what he's
      creating, the fact that he's experiencing the joy of creation makes
      me feel like we're in a brotherhood of some kind... we're in it
      – Chick Corea

      In this state there is no Shiva,
      nor any holy union.

      Only a somewhat something moving
      dreamlike on a fading road.

      - Lalla
        14th Century North Indian mystic

      From "Naked Song"
      Versions by Coleman Barks
      posted to Along the Way

      I read a story on a Hallmark card, and how fitting to be
      called "Hallmark," for it is so. This is what it says:

      a group of Siamese monks
      covered their precious golden Buddha
      with an outer covering of clay
      to keep their treasure
      from being looted.

      The golden figure lay hidden for centuries.

      We are all like the clay Buddha
      covered with a shell of hardness
      created out of fear,
      and yet underneath is a "golden essence,"
      our real self.
      Sometime along the way
      we began to cover up our natural self.
      Our task now is to discover
      our true essence once again.

      Jack Canfield (adapted)

      "You've always had a Heart of Gold."

      Mazie Lane on HarshaSatsangh

      If you’re observant any square mile on the face of the Earth
      will tell you all you need to know about life and people.
      - Dean Koontz, LA Times
      from Alpha World

      The next time you're tempted to compare your life to another's,
      pause for a moment. Remind yourself, over and over, that there is no
      competition on the spiritual plane. The blessings your nemesis has
      received also can be yours as soon as you are really ready to receive
      with an open heart all the good fortune created just for you.

      - Sarah Ban Breathnach, Simple Abundance - A Daybook of Comfort and Joy

      He who treads the Path in earnest
      Sees not the mistakes of the world;
      If we find fault with others
      We ourselves are also in the wrong.
      -The Sutra of Hui Neng

      Dharma, a Sanskrit word for which there is no adequate English
      equivalent, refers to the understanding and behavior that lead to the
      elimination of suffering and its source and to the experience of a
      lasting state of happiness and fulfillment....
      Shantideva, a seventh-century Indian Buddhist sage, writes:
      Although we wish to cast off grief,
      We hasten after misery;
      And though we long for happiness,
      Out of ignorance we crush our joy
      as if it were our enemy.
      We wish for happiness, yet frequently we fail to identify its source.
      We wish to be free of suffering, frustration, and grief, but we do
      not correctly identitfy the sources of our unhappiness. So, although
      we wish to be free of misery we hasten after it, all the while
      destroying the causes of the happiness we could have.
      --B. Alan Wallace, in Tibetan Buddhism from the Ground Up

      Few people are capable of wholehearted commitment, and that is
      why so few people experience a real transformation through their
      spiritual practice. It is a matter of giving up our own viewpoints, of
      letting go of opinions and preconceived ideas, and instead following
      the Buddha's guidelines. Although this sounds simple, in practice
      most people find it extremely difficult. Their ingrained viewpoints,
      based on deductions derived from cultural and social norms, are in
      the way.
      We must also remember that heart and mind need to work together.
      If we understand something rationally but don't love it, there is no
      completeness for us, no fulfillment. If we love something but don't
      understand it, the same applies.
      If we have a relationship with another person, and we love the
      person but don't understand him or her, the relationship is
      incomplete; if we understand the person but don't love him or her,
      it is equally unfulfilling. How much more so on our spiritual path. We
      have to understand the meaning of the teaching and also love it. In
      the beginning our understanding will only be partial, so our love has
      to be even greater.
      - Ayya Khema, from When the Iron Eagle Flies