#2496 - Sunday, June 11, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2006
      The Gardener of Eden -- James Broughton

      The Gardener of Eden

      I am the old dreamer who never sleeps
      I am timekeeper of the timeless dance
      I preserve the long rhythms of the earth
      and fertilize the rounds of desire

      In my evergreen arboretum
      I raise flowering hopes for the world
      I plant seeds of perennial affection
      and wait for their passionate bloom

      Would you welcome that sight if you saw it?
      Revalue the view you have lost?
      Could you wake to the innocent morning
      and follow the risks of your heart?

      Every day I grow a dream in my garden
      where the beds are laid out for love
      When will you come to embrace it
      and join in the joy of the dance?

      ~ James Broughton ~

      (Packing Up for Paradise)

      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html

      FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO CHANGE EMAIL FORMAT BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS, CLICK HERE

      #2496 - Sunday, June 11, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      As a lifelong avid gardener myself, the spiritual connection with growing living plants obviously goes without saying. I have been waiting to mention a movie I saw last month until closer to the time you can see it on PBS. The Real Dirt on Farmer John is hilarious, both heartbreaking and heartwarming. It's part of the Independent Lens series, and rather thoroughly described on the PBS website, so no summary is needed by me. Our local CSA, part of the burgeoning organic farm co-op movement, brought the real Farmer John here for a Q&A after his movie. Anyone would enjoy his life's story as a character, regardless of your interest in farming itself. Please do see it, record it to watch another time, it's simply an inspiration, a not to be missed film.  -Gloria

      The Film

      L-R:
1940s farm photo: a young woman in a dress stands next to her father in overalls; a dog sits at their feet

A young blonde boy plays in a lush green cornfield

Farmer John stands leaning on a tractor wearing a Dr. Seuss top hat, a silver lame dress and long scarf

      “My ancestors have farmed this land generation after generation, and I just about ended the whole thing. What do you do when nothing is left? And in a rural community where you aren’t welcome because you’re kind of different.”
—Farmer John Peterson

      For close to a century, a great American epic has been played out in the tiny town of Caledonia, Illinois, about 75 miles west of Chicago. THE REAL DIRT ON FARMER JOHN tells the story of one man, his farm and his family—a story that parallels the history of American farming. But Farmer John is no laconic, Grant Wood-type with a scowl and a pitchfork. Equal parts performance artist, writer and farmer, John Peterson has been known to switch out of his overalls into leopard latex or a purple-feathered boa.

      “Soil tastes good today”
      Farmer John on farming,
      expression and creativity
      Watch video
      Farmer John stands in a field holding a pitchfork, wearing glasses, overalls, a plaid shirt and baseball cap
      “My family has been plowing and planting every spring for generations, but it’s ending with me.”
      The auction (1983)
      Watch video

      In the early 1900s, Peterson’s grandfather purchased and began to farm some acreage west of Chicago. The family tradition continued: Peterson’s father farmed the same land, as did Peterson, after his father’s death. Then came the 1970s. As a student at nearby Beloit College, Peterson was exposed to the era’s wildly accelerating cultural changes which fed his artistic inclinations. His new student friends flooded the farm with a riot of art, freedom and rock and roll, creating an art commune in the heart of conformist Midwestern America. Filmmaker Taggart Siegel was one of these friends. As he explains, “In 1979, John invited me out to the farm and a whole new world opened up. It was very powerful. I was a painter and I wanted to explore making films on the farm, and John just let everyone express themselves. It was the total fusion of a real working farm and an artistic community, a melding of traditional and unorthodox ways.”

      “I live in a small provincial area,” Peterson says, “and if you remember the ‘70s, you’ll appreciate that it would have been pretty hard, actually impossible, for folks to accept us.” Peterson was later demonized by his neighbors as a drug-dealing cult murderer of animals and children, and blamed for the general decline in farm fortunes.

      This decline came in the early 1980s, when family farmers throughout the United States felt unrelenting economic pressures. Siegel, by then a student in Columbia College’s film school, made a ten-minute documentary, Bitter Harvest, recording Peterson’s struggles to keep his family’s farm and the eventual auctioning off of his farm equipment. The profound pain of Peterson’s losses and the eventual transformation of his farm provide the soul of THE REAL DIRT ON FARMER JOHN. “In the end, it’s really an optimistic story about the resurrection of the American soul,” says Siegel, “and it starts with the soil.”

      But before any resurrection was possible, utter desolation was required. Peterson lost most of the farm and descended into a deep depression. Trying to cope with his economic and personal failures, he was forced to take a journey of discovery and resourcefulness. “I had come to feel that the land was savage,” Peterson explains, “ruthless, self-serving, and unreliable. I swore I would never farm again.” Constantly supporting him was his mother, Anna, a luminous presence throughout the film. In the early 1990s, Peterson returned to what was left of the farm, determined to bring it back to life: “I had no clue how difficult it would be, but I had no choice. I realized that my personal destiny was intertwined with that of the farm, and I simply had to go back.”

      “In the end, it’s really an optimistic story about the resurrection of the American soul…and it starts with the soil.” —Filmmaker Taggart Siegel

      Noticing the ongoing multinational takeover of American farming and betting instead on the future of organic produce, Peterson turned his enterprise into an organic operation, naming the farm Angelic Organics. He was soon invited to become a community supported agriculture (CSA) farmer: “I realized that my whole life had been about community—enabling people, bringing them to the farm, working and playing together, sharing the farm experience.” The story of Angelic Organics’ success as a CSA farm over the last 15 years is the final delight of THE REAL DIRT ON FARMER JOHN. A multi-faceted enterprise, the farm now provides fresh organic produce for 1,200 shareholder families, on-site educational programs, employment opportunities for people who truly want to get back to the earth—including Farmer John.

      http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/realdirt/index.html has much, much more about the film.

      DVD copies of THE REAL DIRT ON FARMER JOHN are available from:

      http://www.angelicorganics.com which is also the website for John's farm

      Currently Featured

      Farmer John, a middle-aged Midwestern man, is in his field; he wears a straw hat, glasses and a light blue work shirt. He takes a big whiff of a large onion he has just picked, dirt on its roots; a farmhouse is in the distance.

      June 13 at 10 p.m.

      THE REAL DIRT ON FARMER JOHN (60 minutes)
      by Taggart Siegel and Teri Lang