#2495 - Saturday, June 10, 2006

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2006
      Archived issues of the NDHighlights are available online:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2495, Saturday, June 10, 2006

      ...the source of true happiness lies in our mind and heart, not in
      possessions, others' actions, praise, reputation, and so forth. But
      we must examine this for ourselves, so the Buddha asked us to
      observe our own experiences to see what causes happiness and what
      causes misery.

      For example, we have all had the experience of waking up on the
      wrong side of the bed. Nothing in particular happened to cause us to
      be in a bad mood; we simply feel lousy. But, interestingly, just on
      those days we feel grumpy, we encounter so many uncooperative and
      rude people.

      Just on the day we want to be left alone, so many obnoxious people
      descend upon us! Suddenly, the way our spouse smiles appears
      sarcastic, and our colleague's "Good morning" seems manipulative.
      Even our pet dog no longer seems to love us! When our boss remarks
      on our work, we take offense. When our friend reminds us to do
      something, we accuse him of being controlling. When someone turns in
      front of us on the road, it feels they are deliberately provoking us.

      On the other hand, when we are in a good mood, even if our colleague
      gives us some negative criticism on a project, we can put it in
      perspective. When our professor asks us to redo a paper, we
      understand her reasons. When a friend tells us that he was offended
      by our words, we calmly explain ourselves and clear up the
      misunderstanding.

      That our interpretations of events and responses to them change
      according to our mood says something important, doesn't it? It
      indicates that we are not innocent people experiencing an
      objectively real external world.

      Rather, our moods, perspectives, and views play a role in our
      experiences. The environment and the people in it aren't objective
      entities that exist from their own side as this or that. Instead,
      together with them, our mind co-creates our experiences.

      Thus, if we want to be happy and to avoid suffering, we need to
      subdue our unrealistic and non-beneficial emotions and perspectives
      and enhance our positive ones.

      - Venerable Thubten Chodron, posted to DailyDharma

      -----------

      Virtuous...

      Where, and when,
      did mankind
      adopt
      the absurd belief,
      that is valorous
      or, virtuous,
      to endure pain...?

      That same belief,
      is the very one,
      that keeps
      the experience
      of ecstasy
      and joy,
      just out of our reach...

      In Ecstacy and Joy...
      ARIAL, posted to Poetic_Mysticism

      -----------

      Drumsound rises on the air,
      its throb, my heart.

      A voice inside the beat
      says, "I know you're tired,
      but come. This is the way.

      - Rumi
      , version by Coleman Barks, Birdsong

      -----------

      The purpose of life is not to arrive at the grave
      a beautiful corpse, pretty and well-preserved, but
      to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally
      worn out, proclaiming, "Wow! What a ride!"

      - posted to meditationsocietyofamerica

      -----------

      Like the little stream
      Making its way