#2492 - Tuesday, June 6, 2006 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2006
      #2492 - Tuesday, June 6, 2006 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive, Search Engine, and How to Contribute Your Writing :
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      This issue begins with poetry and diet advice from Margo.

      Then there are two articles falling under "nondual activism":  A review of the movie ScaredSacred, and a review by Daniela Rommel of the book Summer Snow, by William T. Hathaway.

      Just a note: Esa Miettinen has let us know that the nondual internet classic movie Shinji-San has moved to

      Margo

      "All's fair in poetry"

      The following two poems are from Margo at Margonaut: http://www.margonaut.com/

      the monady and the microclimate

      I am an orb of hail
      that has just hit the ocean
      having cast ripples on an evanescent wave or two
      softly floating on the salty surface
      due to melt back into its source
      unhurriedly

      ~ ~ ~

      margo's metaphysical diet tips (depravation is unnecessary)

      give up the comparing yourself to others game

      make food choices around wanting to be healthy instead of because your butt is too wide, etc.

      reject diet trends and newspaper advice on what to eat

      each of us has different nutritonal needs
      there is no one "healthy diet" that will work for everyone
      figure out what natural foods make your unique body feel good

      sit down, relax, chew slowly, and enjoy each bite with your full attention when you eat

      stop thinking of your favourite "bad" foods as "junk food" and instead think of them as "treats"
      enjoy each bite
      do not feel guilty after
      (relax, Heaven says no dessert is actually "sinful")

      and most importantly
      stop thinking about what's wrong with your body
      start loving it with an attitude of gratitude
      and watch it respond

      Does Mind Over Body Healing Work?"
      http://www.mindpowernews.com/MindHealing.htm
      Diseases are burdens on biology. Human intellect and human body organs are integral parts of the human condition. To separate them, as Socrates lamented, is to negate the completeness of the human condition.

      Our technology has rendered irrelevant the debate on the psychosomatic and somatopsychic nature of diseases. Advances in behavioural biology and experimental psychology have put these two disciplines on a collision course; a complete merger between the two is simply a matter of time.

      Josie

      ScaredSacred

      i watched this movie tonight. it is now
      available on dvd. i recommend it. his
      blog as well as related links are quite
      worth exploring.

      as i have been involved with activism
      around many of these issues for a long
      time, it was not as new as for some
      viewers, yet, it is a beautiful whole.
      and certainly there are many images
      and people i have never experienced in
      person nor have most humans on this
      planet.

      i like a review that was written by a
      viewer called jay on october 2005. he
      wanted to pass on the message of the
      film. i put it at the end. he has an
      innocence and optimism gained from his
      experience watching that is heartwarming.

      --josie--

      FYI, from the website

      UNWRAP THE DARKNESS. REVEAL THE LIGHT.

      http://www.scaredsacred.org/

      In a world teetering on the edge of self-destruction,
      award-winning filmmaker Velcrow Ripper sets out on a
      unique pilgrimage. Visiting the 'Ground Zeros' of the
      planet, he asks if it's possible to find hope in the
      darkest moments of human history.

      ScaredSacred deftly weaves together stunning footage
      with haunting memories, inspirational stories, and an
      evocative soundscape. An exquisite portrait of a search
      for meaning in times of turmoil.

      *  *  *  *  *
      "Remarkably moving, strikingly beautiful and
      surprisingly hopeful...
      Ripper's startling images of destruction and
      resiilience often arrive so unexpectedly that
      you're kept on the edge of your seat. The film
      looks at disputes without rhetoric, providing
      testimonials that will break your heart. But
      nothing that happens here will break the human
      spirit. Anyone who sees this movie will be the
      better for it."
      David Spaner, The Province

      *  *  *  *
      "Spectacular... an inspirational message of human
      compassion."
      Janis Cole, NOW Magazine

      *  *  *  *
      "Provocative... transcendent... mesmerizing...
      astonishing!"
      Bruce Kirkland, Toronto SUN

      ""Important... illuminating... revelatory!"
      -Alex Stachan, CanWest

      "An inspiring, beautiful film that left an indelible
      impact on me."
      -- Daryl Hannah, Actor/Activist

      "ScaredSacred conveys a sense of spirit and longing,
      harnessed with a compassionate sense of urgency."
      -- Atom Egoyan

      "One of the most cathartic and powerful films I have
      ever seen. It literally changed my life and sense of
      spirituality."
      -- Rene Broussard, Director, New Orleans International
      Human Rights Film Festiva

      -Jay's review taken from blog entries at the site.

      ScaredSacred:

      All I ask is that you take 2 minutes to read what I have to say. I
      know I've asked a lot of my friends and my family lately with my
      fundraiser, but I saw this documentary yesterday, and I really think
      you should see it as well. I know I already sent the trailer to some
      of you already, but the only way the message will be spread is if
      people go to watch this film in theatre. The better this film does in
      terms of box office numbers, than the more cinemas and cities it will
      be playing at. It is definitely worth the $10. Please read what I wrote:

      On his five year expedition to the `Ground Zeros' around the world,
      Velcrow Ripper explores stories about the mid-1980s pesticide plant
      explosion in India; the minefields of Cambodia; the civil war in
      Bosnia; the A-Bomb explosion in Hiroshima; Tibetan's trapped in
      Pakistan; a women's rights protest in Afghanistan; the on-going
      Israeli-Palestine conflict; and ultimately and arguably the most
      shocking ground zero in New York City. Ripper's five year journey
      explores whether or not humanity can transform the `scared' into the
      `sacred.'

      During the post screening Q&A at the Carlton Cinemas, I asked Velcrow
      what was his inspiration for taking up a challenge like this? He
      simply stated how he realized he could use the media as a tool to send
      a message. This film clearly does send a message, and cleverly opens
      our minds and our hearts as he uses the media as a tool for creating
      social change. This film puts a lot of things into perspective and
      makes us `westerners' realize how miniscule our problems really are.
      As I sat there and watched the film in disbelief, discomfort, and
      sorrow I thought to myself: Once this film is over, how can I do my
      part to help shape this world of ours? As the credits started playing
      everyone promptly started clapping and I realized: He didn't create
      this documentary to make us `westerners' feel sorry for living the
      lives we do, he simply created it to show us that we are the ones with
      the opportunity to create social change. The impression Velcrow leaves
      the audience is one of complete gratitude for taking five years of his
      life to uncover what is really happening in the world around us. As a
      lot of people in Canada and the US are unaware or perhaps uninterested
      in the problems going on around the world, this film will make even
      the most narrow-minded individuals realize how fortunate we really are.

      One story in particular that really touched me was that of Aki Ra who,
      as a child soldier, was forced to lay landmines in the jungles of
      Cambodia. As a young boy he lost his family to murder, and was told
      that if he cried or questioned the military's authority, he would die
      as well. So he went about his business and in order to live his life
      he laid landmines. Today, Aki still walks the jungles he once did as a
      child, except his purpose now is to disarm the landmines he once laid
      as a kid. He walks around with a simple wooden stick and disarms about
      15 to 100 landmines any given day. He sees himself as being lucky to
      be alive and is doing everything in his power to rid his land of these
      deadly devices.

      I now look back and say to myself: Will I think twice the next time I
      walk out my door and onto the street, as those in Bosnia were afraid
      of doing for four years? Will I watch my step wondering if I will
      accidentally trigger a landmine, as the people in Cambodia do
      everyday? Will I be afraid to pull out my MP3 player and listen to the
      music I love? Of course not, because in Canada we have the luxury of
      living the life that a lot of people around the world could only dream
      of. Will I do my part to help create social change? I know I will try
      my best, and hopefully this is the message that everyone takes with
      them as they exit the theatres. I look forward to watching the sequels
      to this wonderfully crafted film, and I will start my bid to create
      social change by convincing my family and friends to go watch this
      documentary. I would like to thank Velcrow for putting this piece
      together and opening my mind even further than it already is.

      If you like what I had to say, you can check out the listing times as
      well as the trailer on the website www.scaredsacred.org. If you don't
      agree with the purpose of the film, or are not interested, at least
      forward this to everyone on your list as perhaps someone else will be
      interested. Its' playing in Vancouver as well, so Crystal please
      spread the word as I know you will like this film.

      Thank you

      Jay

      Book review

      Summer Snow

      Reviewed by Daniela Rommel

      A Special Forces veteran and award-winning author has published a new book opposing the war on
      terrorism.

      William T. Hathaway's SUMMER SNOW is a spiritual novel set in Central Asia as an American warrior
      falls in love with a Sufi mystic and learns from her an alternative to the military mentality.

      The book's wisdom figure is an aged Sufi woman, the warrior's lover's teacher, who has survived by
      outsmarting male dominated political and religious hierarchies. "This bin Laden, this Bush, all
      these leading men, they have highjacked us all with their violence," she states. "They have turned
      the whole world into their suicide airplane. These men are too primitive to have such power. Too
      ignorant of the underlying reality. We must stop them. We must take the boys' toys away from
      them...these terrible weapons."

      How she does that becomes the climax of the novel. Its theme is that higher consciousness is more
      effective than violence and that women may be more able than men to lead us there.

      "I think that to prevent war we need to raise human consciousness," Hathaway says. "A look at the
      history of revolutions shows that switching economic and political systems isn't enough. The same
      aggressive personality types take over and start another army. We have to change the basic unit,
      the individual.

      "I've found Eastern meditation to be the most effective way to change people. Unlike psychotherapy
      or prayer, it works on the physiological level, altering the brain waves and metabolism. It refines
      the nervous system and expands the awareness so that the unity of all human beings becomes a living
      reality, not just an idealistic concept.

      "After a while of meditation people stop wanting to consume things that increase aggression, such
      as meat, alcohol, and violent entertainment. They become more peaceful.

      "I think it's very true that peace begins within you. As Gandhi said, 'We have to become the change
      we want to see in the world.'"

      In writing SUMMER SNOW, Hathaway drew on his experiences during a year and a half in Central Asia.

      He now supports counter-recruitment work to persuade young people not to join the military. He is
      active in a group encouraging soldiers to refuse service in Iraq and Afghanistan. For those who
      want to desert, they have a sanctuary network that helps them build new lives. "Refusing or
      deserting the military takes great courage, and I'm full of admiration for the people who do it. If
      convicted, they're punished viciously because they're such a threat to the government's power.
      They're the real heroes," the combat-decorated Special Forces veteran states.

      Hathaway's first anti-war novel, A WORLD OF HURT, won a Rinehart Foundation Award. Both it and
      SUMMER SNOW explore the attraction that war has for men and how they can be healed of the pathology
      of patriarchal machismo.

      "Many men are psychologically draw to the military because of blocked libido and the need for
      paternal approval," says the ex-Green Beret. "In my writing I'm trying to uncover these inner roots
      of war, the forces that so persistently drive us to slaughter. Our culture has degraded masculinity
      into a deadly toxin. It's poisoned us all. Men have to confront this part of themselves before men
      and women together can heal it. I was lucky to have found a partner skilled at this.

      "Understanding the effects that our culturally imposed gender roles have on us is crucial to
      understanding why we make war. One attraction of war is that it is a substitute for eroticism; it
      is the ultimate sexual perversion. It also reduces our ability to love."

      Hathaway also wrote the introduction to AMERICA SPEAKS OUT: Collected Essays from Dissident Writers
      and has published numerous articles. His writing won him a Fulbright professorship at universities
      in Germany, where he currently lives.

      The first chapter of SUMMER SNOW is on the publisher's website,
      http://www.avatarpublication.com/books/?id=13, and a selection of his writing is available at
      http://www.peacewriter.org.

      ###

      Daniela Rommel has taught English, French, and German at colleges in Iowa, Florida, and Germany.