#2490 - Sunday, June 4, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2006
      #2490 - Sunday, June 4, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      Everything is impermanent, except the love of God.

      It's better to see God in everything than to try to figure it out.

      -- Neem Karoli Baba

      Xan posted on MillionPaths

      When you dwell in stillness, the judging mind can come through like a
      foghorn. "I don't like the pain in my knee...This is boring...I like this feeling
      of stillness; I had a good meditation yesterday, but today I'm having a bad
      meditation...It's not working for me. I'm no good at this. I'm no good,
      period..." This type of thinking dominates the mind and weighs it down. It's
      like carrying around a suitcase full of rocks on your head. It feels good to
      put it down. Imagine how it might feel to suspend all your judging and instead
      to let each moment be just as it is, without attempting to evaluate it as
      "good" or "bad." This would be a true stillness, a true liberation. Meditation
      means cultivating a non-judging attitude toward what comes up in the mind,
      come what may.

      --Jon Kabat-Zinn, from Wherever You Go, There You Are

      Two Activities: One at the Beginning, One at the End

      At the beginning of your day when you wake up, express your aspiration: "May I
      practice the three difficulties. May I see what I do. When it happens, may I do
      something different, and may that be a way of life for me." At the beginning of
      your day, using your own language, you could encourage yourself to keep your
      heart open, to remain curious no matter how difficult things get. Then at the end
      of the day when you're just about to go to sleep, review the day. Rather than
      using what happened as ammunition for feeling bad about yourself, about how the
      whole day went by and you never once remembered what you had aspired to do in
      the morning, you can simply use it as an opportunity to get to know yourself better
      and to see all the funny ways in which you trick yourself, all the ways in which
      you're so good at zoning out and shutting down. If you feel like you don't want to
      practice the three difficulties anymore because it's like setting yourself up for
      failure, generate a kind heart toward yourself. Reflecting over just one day's
      activities can be painful, but you may end up respecting yourself more, because
      you see that a lot happened; you weren't just one way.

      As Carl Jung said at the  end of his life, "I am astonished, disappointed, pleased
      with myself. I am  distressed, depressed, rapturous. I am all these things at once
      and cannot add up  the sum."

      From Start Where You Are : A Guide to Compassionate Living by Pema Chodron,
      Copyright 1994, Shambhala Publications.

      To take refuge in the Buddha means acknowledging the seed of enlightenment
      that is within ourselves, the possibility of freedom. It also means taking refuge in
      those qualities which the Buddha embodies; qualities like fearlessness, wisdom,
      love and compassion.

      Taking refuge in the Dharma means taking refuge in the law, in the way things
      are; it is acknowledging our surrender to the truth, allowing the Dharma to unfold
      within us.

      Taking refuge in the Sangha means taking support in the community, in all of us
      helping one another towards enlightenment and freedom.

      --Joseph Goldstein, in The Experience of Insight
      from Everyday Mind, edited by Jean Smith, a Tricycle book

      To take refuge in the Buddha is to take refuge in someone who let go of holding
      back just as you can do. To take refuge in the dharma is to take refuge in all the
      teachings that encourage you and nurture your inherent ability to let go of holding
      back. And to take refuge in the sangha is to take refuge in the community of
      people who share this longing to let go and open rather than shield themselves.

      The support that we give each other as practitioners is not the usual kind of
      samsaric support in which we all join the same team and complain about someone
      else. It's more that you're on your own, completely alone, but it's helpful to know
      that there are forty other people who are also going through this all by
      themselves. That's very supportive and encouraging. Fundamentally, even though
      other people can give you support, you do it yourself, and that's how you grow up
      in this process, rather than becoming more dependent.
      --Pema Chodron

      "The continual stream of new discovery, revelation and inspiration which
      arises at every moment is the manifestation of our clarity. We should
      learn to see everyday life as mandala - the luminous fringes of
      experience which radiate spontaneously from the empty nature of our
      being. The aspects of our mandala are the day-to-day objects of our life
      experience moving in the dance or play of the universe. By this
      symbolism, the inner teacher reveals the profound and ultimate
      significance of being. Therefore we should be natural and spontaneous,
      accepting and learning from everything.

      ...Simply plunging directly into meditation in the moment now, with our
      whole being, free from hesitation, boredom or excitement, is
      enlightenment."

      --H.H. Dilgo Khyentse Rimpoche

      From the teaching, "Dzogchen Practice in Everyday LIfe."
      http://www.nyingma.com/dzogchen1.htm