#2485 - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2006

      #2485 - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      Note: We are still playing catch up, so will blame the holiday.
      While Jerry is away this week, I found some quotes on life's
      travels. You'll see they are both pro and con, and as usual,
      that is our official stance:  both and neither. -Gloria

      Any life, no matter how long and complex it may be,
      is made up of a single moment — the moment in which
      a man finds out, once and for all, who he is.
      --Jorge Luis Borges

      The sun shines and warms and lights us and we have no curiosity to know why this
      is so; but we ask the reason of all evil, of pain, and hunger.
      --Ralph Waldo Emerson

      If we were not so single-minded about keeping our lives moving and for once could
      do nothing, perhaps a huge silence might interrupt this sadness of never
      understanding ourselves and of threatening ourselves with death.”
      --Pablo Neruda

      Wandering reestablishes the original harmony which once existed between man and
      the universe.
      --Anatole France

      photo by Sam Pasiencier, who just returned from  Paris.

      Travel does what good novelists also do to the life of everyday, placing it like a
      picture in a frame or a gem in its setting, so that the intrinsic qualities are made
      more clear. Travel does this with the very stuff that everyday life is made of,
      giving to it the sharp contour and meaning of art.
      --Freya Stark

      Why do you wonder that globe-trotting does not help you, seeing that you always
      take yourself with you? The reason which set you wandering is ever at your heels.
      --Socrates

      It’s our knowledge of death that makes us pray. Every path a child takes looks
      precarious to the parent’s eye. And it is, and precarious is an old word that means
      'full of prayers.'
      --Michael Meade

      A certain businessman, renowned for his ruthlessness, once made a vow in Mark
      Twain's presence. "Before I die," he declared, "I mean to make a pilgrimage to the
      Holy Land. I will climb Mount Sinai and read the Ten Commandments aloud at the
      top."  "I have a better idea," Twain replied. "You could stay home in Boston and keep
      them."
      --Bartlett’s Book of Anecdotes

      We live at a time when man believes himself fabulously capable of creation, but he
      does not know what to create. Lord of all things, he is not lord of himself. He feels
      lost amid his own abundance. With more means at its disposal, more knowledge,
      more techniques than ever, it turns out that the world today goes the same way as
      the worst of worlds that have been: it simply drifts.
      --José Ortega y Gasset

      For no reason I can explain, I began to discover how little it mattered where you
      are or what anyone does to you. I was sure that what I had done to get there
      [imprisoned for draft resistance] was right, and somehow the longer I was there,
      the better I felt. . . . I felt filled with love for everyone: everyone I knew and
      everyone I didn’t know; for plants, fish, animals; even bankers, generals, prison
      guards, and lying politicians — everything and everyone. Why did I feel so good?
      Was it God? Or approaching death? Or just the way life is supposed to be if we
      weren’t so busy trying to make it something else?
      --David Dellinger