#2484 - Monday, May 28, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2006
      #2484 - Monday, May 28, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      If the only prayer you ever say
      in your entire life is thank you,
      it will be enough.

      -Meister Eckhart

                  I spent my days idly as a vine
                  growing slowly in some holy place.

                  Then compassion came,
                  and I saw the Absolute.

                  All the names are true,
                  but I kept repeating that
                  of my teacher, and OM.

                  And sometimes I sang Om
                  Namah Shivaya, the greeting
                  that gives peace to the world
                  as well as to the spirit.

                                       - Lalla
                                         14th Century North Indian mystic

      posted to Along the Way

      Imagine yourself as a child lying on your back, gazing up into a cloudless sky, and
      blowing soap bubbles through a plastic ring. As a bubble drifts up into the sky, you
      watch it rise, and this brings your attention to the sky. While you are looking at the
      bubble, it pops, and you keep your attention right where the bubble had been. Your
      awareness now lies in empty space.

      --B. Alan Wallace, "Tibetan Buddhism From the Ground Up"

      Experiencing the Ground of Consciousness

      People often confuse meditation with prayer, devotion, or vision. They are not the
      same. Meditation as a practice does not address itself to a deity or present itself
      as an opportunity for revelation. This is not to say that people who are meditating
      do not occasionally think they have received a revelation or experienced visions.
      They do. But to those for whom meditation is their central practice, a vision or a
      revelation is seen as just another phenomenon of consciousness and as such is not
      to be taken as exceptional.

      The meditator simply experiences the ground of consciousness, and in doing so
      avoids excluding or excessively elevating any thought or feeling. To do this one
      must release all sense of the "I" as experiencer, even the "I" that might think it is
      privileged to communicate with the divine.

      --Gary Snyder, Tricycle: The Buddhist Review, Vol.I, #1

      The world is still full of divinity and strangeness, Mr. Shawnessy said. The
      scientist stops, where all men do, at the doors of birth and death. He knows no
      more than you and I why a seed remembers the oak of 20 million years ago, why
      dust acquires the form of a woman, why we behold the earth in space and time. He
      hasn’t yet solved the secret of a single name upon the earth. We may pluck the
      nymph from the river, but we won’t pluck the river from ourselves: this coiled
      divinity is still all murmurous and strange. There are sacred places everywhere.
      The world is still man’s druid grove, where he wanders hunting for the Tree of
      Life.
      --Ross Lockridge

      Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

      Just Done

      By Yuan Mei
      (1716 - 1798)

      English version by J. P. Seaton

      A month alone behind closed doors
      forgotten books, remembered, clear again.
      Poems come, like water to the pool
      Welling,
                                    up and out,
      from perfect silence

      -- from A Drifting Boat: Chinese Zen Poetry, Edited by J. P. Seaton / Edited by Dennis Maloney

      ============

      Thought for the Day:

      It is not the path
      that makes the person holy.