#2483 - Sunday, May 28, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2006
      To Look at Any Thing -- John Moffitt

      #2483 - Sunday, May 28, 2006 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive and Search Engine:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      In order to learn the nature of the myriad things,
      you must know that although they may look round or square,
      the other features of oceans and mountains
      are infinite in variety;
      whole worlds are there.
      It is so not only around you,
      but also directly beneath your feet, or in a drop of water.

      --Genjo Koan
      From "Teachings of the Buddha," edited by Jack Kornfield, 1993

      To Look at Any Thing

      To look at any thing,
      If you would know that thing,
      You must look at it long:
      To look at this green and say,
      "I have seen spring in these
      Woods," will not do - you must
      Be the thing you see:
      You must be the dark snakes of
      Stems and ferny plumes of leaves,
      You must enter in
      To the small silences between
      The leaves,
      You must take your time
      And touch the very peace
      They issue from.

      ~ John Moffitt ~

      (Teaching With Fire, edited by S. M. Intrator and M. Scribner)

      Web version: www.panhala.net/Archive/To_Look.html

      Web archive of Panhala postings:
      www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html

      When we trust with our open heart, whatever occurs, at the very moment that it occurs, can be perceived as fresh and unstained by the clouds of hope and fear. Chgyam Trungpa Rinpoche used the phrase "first thought, best thought" to refer to the first moment of fresh perception, before the colorful and coloring clouds of judgement and personal interpretation take over.

      "First thought" is "best thought" because it has not yet got covered over by all our opinions and interpretations, our hopes and fears, our likes and dislikes. It is direct perception of the world as it is. Sometimes we discover "first thought, best thought" by relaxing into the present in a very simple way.

      --Jeremy Hayward, in Tricycle: The Buddhist Review, Vol. IV, #3

      My Chan teacher, who I met in southern China in 1978 was named Yen Why Shih.  He was a Dharma heir of the Venerable Hsu Yun who died in 1959 at 119 years of age.  Yen Why Shih was 84 in 1978.

      Here is a wonderful Chan/Zen practice teaching from Hsu Yun:

       "It is the unremitting turning of the light inwards on oneself, instant after instant and exclusive of all other things."

      At another time he said :

      "it is the turning of the light inward on that which is not born and does not die."

      I would add:  that the light that we turn inward to perceive with,  is also that  light as seen within...

      --Jax
      posted to Dzogchen Practice

      Surrender is the simple but profound wisdom of yielding to rather than opposing
      the flow of life. The only place where you can experience the flow of life is the
      Now, so to surrender is to accept the present moment unconditionally and without
      reservation. It is to relinquish inner resistance to what is.

      --Eckhart Tolle

      Everything is dependent on everything else, everything is connected, nothing is
      separate. Therefore everything is going in the only way it can go. If people were
      different everything would be different. They are what they are, so everything is
      as it is.

      --G.I. Gurdjieff

      Mahamudra is beyond all words and symbols.
      But for you, Naropa, earnest and loyal, must this be said.
      The void needs no reliance; Mahamudra rests on naught. Not making any effort,
      but remaining loose and natural, one breaks the yoke thus gaining liberation.

      --Tilopa
      posted to Conscious Oneness