#2469 - Friday, May 12, 2006 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2006
      #2469 - Friday, May 12, 2006 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nondual Highlights

      Archive, Search Engine, and How to Contribute Material : http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      Hassidic Reggae

      Listen up! Really cool!

      contributed by Ben Hassine

      The unitive and no-self states, nonduality culture, and ego crap

      from the notebooks of Jerry Katz

      The unitive state is the state of oneness with our true self. It can be achieved. The no-self
      condition is known when the unitive state is seen as the final drama and it falls away leaving
      nothing. There is no bridge from the unitive to the no-self state. No practice gets us there.

      Whenever a teaching sounds like instruction or gives you something to do, such as
      Nisargadatta's "follow the I am," or Ramana's, "find out who questions," these come from the
      unitive state and help a person achieve the unitive state. A minute later Nisargadatta may say to
      someone else that there is no "I am." Or Ramana may say there is nothing to question. Those
      statements come from the no-self disposition. The unitive state can be achieved and taught through
      inquiry. But the no-self condition can't really be spoken about; the master can only function, that
      is, be who they are, or say a few meaningless words, or point to the no-self condition.

      ~ ~ ~

      Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. The
      rituals would now be understood in a new way. Bernadette Roberts said that in the end all she was
      left with was Eucharist, the recognition that there is only Christ: Christ is wine, Christ is
      bread. Christ is everything. She continued to go to church. Rituals are continued even after the
      no-self condition becomes known. It is a matter of living life in a way that is agreeable.

      ~ ~ ~

      The true Tao is beyond experience. It is the no-self. The Tao that can be spoken is the unitive
      state tao. There are things we can experience, gain, attain, teach, and talk about. That's all
      unitive state stuff. Beyond that we can't talk or know, because the talker and knower are gone.

      ~ ~ ~

      Some people have tremendous gifts of communication and influence. Those gifts are separate from
      realization. There must be all kinds of tremendously wise realized people who never speak of their
      knowings. They're not teachers, gurus, artists, or poets.

      People are in awe of genius and probably should be, but to be in awe of realization or
      enlightenment is a hindrance. For example, you can be in awe of someone who is a hyped-up,
      dazzling, charming speaker on the subject of getting rich in real estate, but it's a hindrance to
      be in awe of the reality that you can buy a house and make a profit from it. There has to be
      separation between the speaker and what they're talking about. Buy the steak, not the sizzle, is
      what I'm saying.

      ~ ~ ~

      I think it does boil down to being alone in our rooms and dealing with who we are. Reading all
      these nondual people is interesting and important but secondary, in my opinion. It's not good to
      get swept away in the culture of nonduality/Advaita with all the personalities and the things
      they're doing. The culture consists of a lot of intelligent people with strong personalities. Big
      deal. The only way to survive the culture is, like I said, to focus on the steak, the meat, and not the sizzle
      or the flambe or whatever. The meat is what you know about yourself to be true.

      ~ ~ ~

      I don't think the ego crap ever goes away: the reactivities, the heartbreaks, the anger, the
      problems that were never dealt with, the psychological knots never undone, the fears and anxieties,
      the need for approval, and all that crap. I don't think it goes away once and for all. It arises.

      Like a surfer on your board you see it arising like a distant wave and you call, "Outside!" Like an
      experienced surfer you know the wave and let it rise, roll, and turn into foam on the shore.
      Sometimes you ride the wave for awhile, feeling joy or pain, and sometimes the wave goes by you
      leaving you sitting on your board. And sometimes you wipe out badly and need help getting back
      on your board. If someone says they feel absolutely no emotion, no reactivities, absolutely no
      arisings at all, why did they even bother to tell you? Something must have arisen, for chrissakes.

      ~ ~ ~

      The only way for me to sit in my room and deal with who I am, is to allow everything to be and to
      spend as little time as possible trying to figure out what's wrong or what went wrong. I really
      don't have a technique. Just try to see the problem.

      ~ ~ ~

      --from the notebooks of Jerry Katz